Let’s Play Live

A new form of entertainment.

A new form of entertainment.

A new form of entertainment.

Stony Hooker, Staff Writer

As society marches forward, humanity evolves, and 90s kids become adults with money, entertainment begins to change with them. Just as it has for hundreds of years, from the stage to the silver screen, from the cinema to the radio, from radio to television, and now entertainment is in the process of changing towards a new medium: videogames.

Founded on April 1st, 2003 in Austin, Texas; Rooster Teeth is a company that was built off videogames. They started their journey with a series known as Red vs. Blue, a sci-fi comedy series that is completely animated using the popular Microsoft videogame Halo. RvB started as small side project for five college students at the University of Texas, and now it is the longest running web series of all time as it approaches its sixteenth season. Rooster Teeth has grown from its five founding members to over 250 employees. In 2015, Rooster Teeth began to develop a feature length movie known as Lazer Team. The movie became the largest crowd funded project ever, grossing over 2.4 million dollars in a month as well as spawning work on a sequel which is scheduled for postproduction in late 2017.

As they began to take on larger projects, Rooster Teeth did not forget their videogame roots, spawning multiple sub-companies that focus solely on playing videogames, recording themselves and uploading them to YouTube. These companies include Achievement Hunter (based in Austin) and Funhaus (based in Los Angeles). Along with the companies directly related to RT, they have created a community known as Let’s Play which incorporates several other independent gaming channels: ScrewAttack (based in Dallas), The Creatures (based in Denver), and KindaFunny (based in San Francisco) creating a network of entertainment groups across the United States that are all based on videogames.

The evolution of videogame entertainment has now also moved to live shows. On February 20, 2015, a show known as Let’s Play Live began. The show is a mix of videogames, drinking, and live entertainment; such as standup comedy, WWE style wrestling, giant beer pong, and many other outrageous spectacles. The show has become so popular that they have now gone on tour. Most recently they went on their East Coast Tour visiting Newark, Baltimore, Orlando, and Tampa.

As they move forward Rooster Teeth is bound to created bigger and better things; however, they seem to not be losing sights of their roots.

• Let’s Play Live

• Let’s Play Live

• Let’s Play Live

• Let’s Play Live

• Let’s Play Live

• Let’s Play Live

• Let’s Play Live

• Let’s Play Live

• Let’s Play Live

Good morning, Feast Lake

• Let’s Play Live

Opinions

Philosophical web story by Michael Del Duca

Let’s Play Live