Easy money

Simple ways to earn money over summer

Photo provided by http://animal-dream.com/

Megan Raynor, Staff Writer

As the anticipation for summer break grows, wallets begin to tighten. Without the obligation of spending about six hours a day five days a week at school, students often have so much time on their hands that they are unsure of how to spend it. Unfortunately, almost every enjoyable activity costs money nowadays, so boredom comes with a price. Luckily, there are many easy ways to earn money that can be spent on summer fun without the commitments of a real job.

1. Resale clothing stores:

In the adolescent and young adult years, following the current trends is more important than at any other age. The majority of teenagers have closets and drawers overflowing with clothes that will be worn once or twice and then completely forgotten about. Through simply organizing your closet and removing the items that sit in the back of your closet collecting dust, you could earn cash that could be spent on summer festivities or even new clothes. Some local resale stores that are focused towards the adolescent age group include Urban Exchange in Oldsmar or Plato’s Closet in Palm Harbor off of U.S. 19. Both stores have their employees go through your gently worn clothing, handbags, and shoes and then pay you cold-hard cash for the items they think their customers will like. Senior Charlee Dunn states, “I once made $75 at Plato’s closet just from selling clothes that I outgrew! That was the easiest money I ever made!”

1. Offering certain services to neighbors

Many people find mowing their lawn, washing their car, and/ or landscaping their yard very laborious. These people will often gladly pay someone to do these chores for them because they are simple jobs that don’t require much skill. Senior Griffin Harris often completes chores for his eldery neighbors; he states, “I am neighbors with an elderly couple who are incapable of doing certain activities because of their age. They ask me to complete simple landscaping maintenance for them and then pay me pretty generously for my services. I feel good helping them out and getting paid makes it even better!” Some people would even prefer to pay someone privately and under the table for indoor and outdoor household maintenance, rather than pay more to go through a larger company or corporation, which is usually more expensive. Basically through simply asking your neighbors, family members, and acquaintances, you can find an easy chore to do to make quick cash.

1. Pet sitting

Since students and educators are off of school, summer break allows for the freedom to go on vacation. Traveling with pets can be a real hassle and as a result they can make vacations more stressful and less enjoyable. Many people are in need of a pet sitter to take care of their beloved animals while they are on vacation.  Senior Leah Farmer’s family is one of the many; she states, “Whenever my family goes on vacation my parents always prefer to hire a local pet sitter for our dog rather than leaving her at a kennel. We love our dog and feel like she will be taken better care of through hiring someone to dedicate their time to looking after her.” Another benefit of pet sitting is that it does not require any prerequisites. It is a relatively simple job composed of just feeding the animal, cleaning up after the animal, and spending time with the animal. You can find pet sitting jobs through handing out flyers or asking around to see if anyone you know is in need of a pet sitter.

Ultimately, summer break is full of fun experiences and memories; however, it is an expensive time. The lack of responsibility of spending time in class, doing homework, or studying for tests allows for lots of free time to be filled with activities that usually cost money. However, there are plenty of ways to earn easy money without the commitment of a job. Keep these three easy ways to make cash in mind in case your fun summer festivities leave your bank account low.

• Easy money

• Easy money

• Easy money

• Easy money

• Easy money

• Easy money

• Easy money

• Easy money

• Easy money

Good morning, Feast Lake

• Easy money

Opinions

Philosophical web story by Michael Del Duca

Easy money