Laptops for college

A laptop for college is pretty near a necessity in this day and age.

Photo provided by USAToday.com

Adam Egan, Staff Writer

Many of our seniors graduating this year will be starting college in the next couple of months. College life will be a lot different than high school, including changes such as dorm life and longer classes. Pretty essential to the whole experience is a proper laptop, one that will be fast enough for some of the necessary class programs as well as something you might be able to stream some Netflix on.

Now the first question you need to ask yourself before considering which laptop to buy is what you’re going to be using it for. If you’re planning on pursuing a major pretty technologically based major such as engineering or computer science, you’re probably going to need something a little more powerful then someone with an English or psychology major. For the majority of people going into college, I recommend getting a series of laptops called Chromebook. These laptops start off extremely cheap for what they can do and will do all that you’re probably going to need. It all depends how much you’re willing to pay for these guys, as some are available even for just under $200. They can run all of Microsoft’s applications pretty snappy such as Word and PowerPoint, as well as your basic video streaming and web browsing.

For those that might be pursuing a more technology centered major, you might need to put in a little more money for your device. I highly suggest that you spend a little bit extra to make sure your device is still pretty light, as it’s possible that you might be taking it around with you a lot. For these I suggest the laptops made by apple like the MacBook Pro and MacBook Air if you’ve got the budget (a pretty hefty fine of usually over $1000), with a couple great alternatives being the Asus Zenbook and the Dell Xps 13 laptops (Both priced around $600-$800 for the base models). All should be able to run the programs you’ll need as well as being pretty portable.

• Laptops for college

• Laptops for college

• Laptops for college

• Laptops for college

• Laptops for college

• Laptops for college

• Laptops for college

• Laptops for college

• Laptops for college

Good morning, Feast Lake

• Laptops for college

Opinions

Philosophical web story by Michael Del Duca

Laptops for college