Not so Super Bowl half time show

Parker Fox, Staff Writer

For some people, the Super Bowl is something to look forward to not because of the game, but the things that come along with it.  The commercials, fun with friends and family, and most importantly- the half time show.  Every year the half time show features one of the nation’s favorite, most popular bands (or in the case of the 2007 Super Bowl in Miami, Florida A&M’s Marching 100) and typically showcases hi-tech special effects.  This year, the Black Eyed Peas headlined the half time show, which also featured Slash and Usher at times.  The quality of the special effects cannot be argued, but the actual vocals of the Black Eyed Peas were suspect to put it lightly.  Junior Michael McMeeken says, “I thought the thing with the people flashing in green was kind of cool, but it’s probably a good thing they were there or I might have heard Fergie a little clearer.”

This half time show brought light to the amazing invention called Auto Tune.  Auto Tune corrects pitch and makes someone’s voice sound differently than it would under normal circumstances.  Due to the fact that a typical Black Eyed Peas song almost sounds like music when listening in on the radio, Auto Tune is a pretty incredible invention.  Although Auto Tune was clearly used during the Super Bowl performance (as evidenced by the occasional glitches that made lead singer Will.i.am’s vocals sound inhuman), the live nature of this performance didn’t allow hours of editing that a typical Peas song would go through for the radio.  “Some of my notes were pitchy to me,” said Peas member Fergie.  This statement is more powerful than someone unfamiliar with Fergie might think, judging by the fact that her entire personality as an artist is based around a cocky swagger, perfectly exemplified in her most well known song “Fergilicious,” Sophomore Joey Peppe says, “I don’t know anything about singing but the Black Eyed Peas sounded pretty pathetic.  And I know they can make their voices sound better than they really are so that makes it even worse.”

To top it all off, singer Will.i.am decided to include an impromptu political statement in the song “Where is the Love,” in which he sang “In America we need to get things straight / Obama, let’s get these kids educated / Create jobs so the country stays stimulated.”  This can be interpreted as positive or negative energy towards the President, but either way the celebrity, like many others before him, abused the limelight in an effort to shift political activity.  Sophomore Ryan Roth says, “I don’t know what he was trying to do there, but I don’t know why he couldn’t just sing the song.  Well none of them really sang at all to be honest.”

Luckily, a great game and the E*Trade commercials helped to dilute the performance by the Black Eyed Peas.  But we can only hope that the NFL will select a more talented band or person to perform next year.