Hollywood comes to Tampa Bay area again

Erin Wronka, Editor-in-Chief

This past fall, the popular family friendly movie A Dolphin Tale premiered in theaters and was a success among parents and their young kids. The film, starring a number of award winning actors like Morgan Freeman and Ashley Judd, was shot here in the Clearwater and Tarpon Springs area of Florida, placing the Tampa Bay area in the spotlight for awhile. Based on a dolphin living at the Clearwater Marine Aquarium, the movie set tourist numbers skyrocketing for both the real exhibit and surrounding attractions in this part of Florida. With the movie madness calmed down a lot from A Dolphin Tale, the Tampa Bay area still is not out of the spotlight. Channing Tatum was in the Tarpon Springs area shooting his movie Magic Mike that is actually based around his time as a male stripper in Tampa. Not only that, another blockbuster film is going to be shot right here in the St. Petersburg area, and is another one sure to excite teenage movie goers.

This latest movie shot in the Tampa area, called Spring Breakers, is set to start filming in March and has a cast including James Franco, Selena Gomez, and Vanessa Hudgens. The mature plot of the movie is set to be about a group of four college girls who land themselves in jail after robbing a restaurant in order to pay for their spring break trip. They end up bailed out by a drug dealer who wants them to take care of some work for him in order to pay him back. It’s obvious that this film is not your typical High School Musical and will include some mature content, yet will hopefully show off St. Pete successfully. No matter how great the movie ends up being, it will be very interesting to see all these young celebrities hanging out in the area.

Not much has been said about the rating of the film or specific characters, but one thing requested already has been a call for extras. If you’re between the ages of 18 and 25 you can send your picture into [email protected], along with your name, contact information, and sizes to possibly get chosen as an extra. Whether you make it on screen or not, it’s a great chance to see what filming a blockbuster movie is actually like.

After Spring Breakers’ release, St. Petersburg beach residents may just see an increase in the number of visitors. It’s always been a problem that the area is underestimated in its beauty, but after this film that may not be an issue anymore.