Grey’s Anatomy is back!

Warning: Spoiler Alert if you have failed to watch the new episode!

Will Alex and Meredith’s relationship remain as strong as shown in this photo after the end of this season?

Photo provided by Google Images

Cristina Himelhoch, Staff Writer

Grey’s Anatomy became an extremely popular show in the past couple of years for teenagers who binge watch Netflix every night when they should be doing homework or getting more sleep. Grey’s Anatomy is one of the longest lasting shows that can be found on Netflix that is still producing more seasons. Shonda Rhymes (the mastermind and genius behind the show) has kept viewers watching her show for twelve entire seasons. Most people were convinced that the show would end after the most important character was suddenly off the show. Even after McDreamy (played by the beautiful actor Patrick Dempsey) was killed in a tragic car accident that left viewers in tears, the show has still managed to keep its suspense and drama at the forefront of every episode.

Season 13 recently aired its first episode on Thursday, September 22. This episode was full of the consequences surrounding Alex Karev’s actions when he almost beat to death another doctor whom he found in bed with his girlfriend. Okay, let’s rewind a little bit. Grey’s Anatomy can be an extremely confusing show for those of you who have never seen it. Basically it is an incredible show about the lives of surgeons in and out of the hospital. There is a mix of suspense, love, and yes, actual surgeries. Now that season 13 has begun, most of the original characters from season 1 are gone. Well, to be more specific, Shonda Rhymes killed off our favorite characters from the past, such as Mark Sloan (McSteamy), Lexi Grey, and George O’Malley. Even after all of these characters have tragically died from car accidents and plane crashes, dedicated fans are still hooked on the show. “I still watch Grey’s Anatomy because then I don’t have to study for my anatomy class,”  states longtime fan and senior at East Lake High School, Catie Tootle.

Shonda Rhymes has put all of her viewers through so much emotional trauma, and yet we keep crawling back for more. Will this show continue to grasp viewers’ attentions, or will we lose yet another key component to the show? If Alex leaves, will the show crash and burn, or will it continue to thrive as it did even after Derek Shepherd died?