La La Land review

Thoughts on the newest musical

Funny yet sentimental, La La Land is sure to hit all your emotions.

Photo provided by www.backstageol.com

Madi Sonnenberg, Web Editor

It seemed as if everyone I talked to was raving about this new movie, La La Land. I didn’t even know what the movie was about or why it was so appealing to people, but the title “La La Land” intrigued me. After a discussion with junior Natalie Rincon, a La La Land fanatic, I learned that this new movie was a touching musical starring Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling. We immediately decided that fellow junior/La La Land novice Anne Bauer and I needed to be exposed to this cinematographic masterpiece. After two hours of intense viewing, popcorn in hand, here are my thoughts on this Golden Globe Award-winning film.

Let’s start with the pros. Overall, the movie was very good and had a great storyline. It tells the tale of Mia, an aspiring actress, and Sebastian, a jazz musician, as they struggle to keep their dreams and relationship intact. The story was captivating and shown from a few different angles/time periods, so you definitely had to pay attention in order to fully understand what was happening. Besides the heartwarming plot, the music throughout the movie was amazing. “Mia and Sebastian’s Theme”, a stunning piano solo played by Sebastian, was by far my favorite song from the soundtrack. Not only is it beautiful, but it is also symbolic in that Sebastian was playing this particular piece when he first met Mia and as they parted ways for the last time. Great story and great music- what’s not to love?

Even though overall La La Land was a fantastic movie, there were a few weak points. Although Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling are amazing actors, I think there could’ve been a better casting of people with actual Broadway experience since singing and dancing played such a huge role in the movie. This was apparent in a few scenes in particular when Emma Stone’s character, Mia, had some pretty cringe-worthy dance moves. The other downer was a random scene in the middle of the movie where Mia and Sebastian go to an observatory and all of a sudden start dancing in outer space. Yeah, the special effects were kind of cool, but all in all, that scene was pretty awkward and unrealistic… the movie could’ve done without it.

When you think about it, the pros of La La Land far outweigh the cons. I would recommend this movie to anyone with an appreciation for music and who wants a good story. But as a warning, just like the Oscars finale was not happily ever after for La La Land, be prepared for a heart wrenching ending to this film!

• La La Land review

• La La Land review

• La La Land review

• La La Land review

• La La Land review

• La La Land review

• La La Land review

• La La Land review

• La La Land review

• La La Land review

La La Land review