Oscars recap

We all know who the Oscars were really about.

Jacklyn Duffek, News Editor

We thought Steve Harvey made the mistake for all of us, but it would seem Price Waterhouse’s Brian Cullinan didn’t get the memo. Cullinan is in charge of handing the presenters the winning envelope as they walk on stage. Of all the times he could’ve messed up, it was at the 89th Academy Awards.

In front of 33 million live viewers, Warren Beatty (Bonnie and Clyde) and Faye Dunaway (Mommy Dearest) falsely named La La Land as best picture rather than the true winner, Moonlight. Ryan Gosling, Emma Stone and the whole crew were on stage holding the award until Steve Harvey took the sash back-oh, I mean Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway were handed the current envelope.

Cullinan manages one wing of the stage while Martha Ruiz handles the other. The telecast stage manager, Gary Natoli, tells The New York Times, “It wasn’t until just before I jumped onstage that it was confirmed by both Brian and Martha that the winner was being announced incorrect.”

La La Land producer Jordan Horowitz knew the announcement “didn’t seem right” and some are blaming Cullinan for being distracted by Twitter backstage. He reportedly tweeted as the envelope was being passed on, hindering concentration from a serious cinematic moment.

Besides the blunder, other winners at the 89th Oscars were Casey Affleck (Ben Affleck’s brother) for Best Actor in Manchester by the Sea, Emma Stone for Best Actress in La La Land, Viola Davis for Best Supporting Actress in Fences, Zootopia for Best Animated Feature (I concur; Zootopia was far better than Finding Dory). JK Rowling’s British script Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them won Best Costume Design and Disney’s Jungle Book live action remake won Best Visual Effects. La La Land also won Best Cinematography (yes, that is a different category than Best Picture), Best Direction, Best Song for City of Stars and Best Production Design. They beat Titanic for most Oscars won.

Besides the blunder and national meme material from the 89th annual Academy Awards, I think the real person at a loss is Leonardo DiCaprio-I hope you’re satisfied with your one Oscar, Leo.    

• Oscars recap

• Oscars recap

• Oscars recap

• Oscars recap

• Oscars recap

• Oscars recap

• Oscars recap

• Oscars recap

• Oscars recap

• Oscars recap

Oscars recap