13 Reasons Why

“If you’re listening you’re too late.” –Hannah Baker

Photo provided by Google Images

Isabel Platis, Staff Writer

A new Netflix series has just come out, and it’s not your average teen drama. This new show is based on a series of books called 13 Reasons Why and it’s about a teenage girl, Hannah’s, story of trying to find herself but also fit in and make friends and after lots of pain and disappointment, that eventually leads to her suicide. Besides from the cheesy and cliché dialogue, the plot manages to capture every possible emotion into 13, one-hour long episodes. The deeper meanings behind this series are an eye opener for sure and I think every teen needs to be aware of them.

This show is able to capture all the different hormones and emotions that teenagers feel on a daily basis. 13 Reasons Why shows us how moody we can be without even realizing it. Hannah’s mother at one point says, “Sometimes she would run around the house singing show tunes in a funny voice and showering us with hugs, and other times she was quiet and moody and it would be hard to get a word out of her.” Unfortunately, her mother didn’t think much of her changing mood and assumed it was just your average teenage hormones; she never once thought that there was an underlying problem going on because she never asked. I think this is a lesson that every parent and friend should learn from. Make sure your friends know that they can talk to you about anything, rather than keeping it to themselves. Another big thing to mention about this series is the amount of cyberbullying that is going on. Many people to this day dismiss cyberbullying as a joke or to get more retweets on Twitter and they don’t think about how this is actually affecting the other person. We saw this happen to Hannah, as one picture got out around school and from that moment on she was forever known as the “biggest ass of sophomore class.” This haunted her for a whole year and made guys do things to her that led to her bottling her emotions up and eventually caused her suicide.

The most important lesson that I learned from 13 Reasons Why is that most of the kids that were cruel to Hannah were also hurting inside. They used her as a scapegoat for their own fears and insecurities. From nerds who don’t fit in to bad family life at home to kids trying to always please their parents, there was an underlying cause behind all their cruelty. However, in no way at all do those reasons make it okay for them to do what they did to Hannah, but the lesson is that everyone is going through something. And most people don’t want to talk about it or don’t have anyone to talk to. Even though this is cliché, being kind to everyone and making sure your friends feel comfortable talking to you about any problems they are having is a simple and easy way to help prevent possible suicide.

• 13 Reasons Why

• 13 Reasons Why

• 13 Reasons Why

• 13 Reasons Why

• 13 Reasons Why

• 13 Reasons Why

• 13 Reasons Why

• 13 Reasons Why

• 13 Reasons Why

Good morning, Feast Lake

• 13 Reasons Why

Opinions

Philosophical web story by Michael Del Duca

13 Reasons Why