Call of Duty: can going back to its roots save it?

The+Call+of+Duty+franchise+has+had+a+rough+couple+years%3B+can+its+newest+installment+save+it%3F+
The Call of Duty franchise has had a rough couple years; can its newest installment save it?

Adam Egan, Staff Writer

Second only to Super Mario, I’d say Call of Duty is one of the biggest gaming franchises the world has ever seen. With a total of 13 main games since its start in 2003 (not counting some of the smaller spin offs), the franchise has put up massive sales numbers over the years. Yet numbers have had a pretty steady decline in recent years, leaving many to question why they keep buying the game every year.

The past three games are where the problems with the game really originated, all of which having a setting some point within the far future. The game starting the trend was Call of Duty Advanced Warfare, adding to the game a new boost mechanic that changed how the entire game was played. The game was met with a lot of controversy on whether these mechanics were all that good for the series, yet the overall reception was pretty good. The real problems arose with the next game being pretty similar to the last, keeping the boost mechanic that a lot of people were not so sure about it in the first place. This time the reception was pretty under Call of Duty’s usual standard, a lot of people criticizing the future setting and calling out for a return to either the past or present. This sudden change in opinion was quite detrimental to the company, because at this point they had already been working on the next game with a future setting for three years. Not really having any choice, the franchise had to put out another future set game this past year that did the worst out of them all, sales being extremely low for the gaming giant.

So what can save the franchise this coming year? Well it seems like they might be on the right track. A trailer for the newest game having a World War 2 setting has gotten people pretty excited again for what the future of the game may hold. It seems that they are making a return to what the fans have deemed as “boots on the ground” gameplay, along with a grittier more focused around history story. This personally excites me as the last game Call of Duty released that had a World War 2 setting was all the way back in 2008, so it’ll be nice to see what this generations graphics will make the biggest war in history look like on my screen at home.

So will this be a revival for the dying franchise? It’s honestly pretty hard to tell at this point due to limited information available about the game but it’s all looking pretty good so far. As long as the developers have been closely listening to the fans (and it seems like they have), the game could bring back some of the passion that long term fans are looking for. I can’t really help but be a little skeptical on whether this game will bring everything back that I’m looking for, but I can ensure that if the general reception for the game is good among reviewers I’ll definitely be picking it up.

• Call of Duty: can going back to its roots save it?