Netflix removals: the sad truth

Netflix is thinking about removing some classics, hopefully they think before they act

Netflix needs to hang on to these classics, or risk their own sustainability.

Photo provided by Netflix.com

Michael Trotto, Staff Writer

Netflix has been removing many popular shows and movies in favor of their own productions recently. This is a list of the most unfortunate removals. Also, I am required to include a disclaimer: this story may cause unwarranted crying, but please refrain from using the Talon as your tissue.

Many people will agree that The Office is one of the most watched TV series on Netflix, and they will also agree that it is one of the funniest shows of all time. I am one of those people, but Netflix is a group of people that disagrees apparently. It has been rumored that Netflix has chosen to remove The Office from their streaming service, though they have not specified a date of removal. Remember the disclaimer: don’t wipe your tears on this newspaper. I have spent countless hours, probably days, watching this show and it has changed my life. I had no idea what true comedy was until I watched The Office, in its entirety, four times through. And I know I’m not the only one. Netflix is trying to replace a classic with a bunch of lousy sitcoms and I’m not having it!

Another show being removed from Netflix is Friday Night Lights, one of the best shows ever made. Once again, Netflix wants to make their own shows, rather than keeping customers. What a stupid decision. Clear Eyes, Full Heart, Can’t Lose… apparently you can lose. Friday Night Lights is just another example of one of the most successful shows on Netflix being completely removed for no real reason other than that Netflix thinks they can make better TV, which I highly doubt. Friday Night Lights left Netflix this October.

Many people might not know about the gold that is The League, but it is another example of a highly hilarious show that Netflix is dubbing unnecessary. Well, Netflix, I disagree. I disagree strongly. This show features a group of friends who play fantasy football. They participate in vulgar trash-talking and equally vulgar activities. Which are all hilarious. If you hadn’t watched it before, now you’ll never be able to. If that’s not something to cry about, I don’t know what is; once again, please do not use this paper as a tissue. The League was removed in August.

Now for a movie. One of the most underappreciated comedy movies of all time, Division Three: Football’s Finest was removed from Netflix in June. This movie stars Andy Dick and is exactly what you think it is, extremely inappropriate and extremely hilarious. The movie features a Division Three football team known as the Pulham University Blue Cocks. The head coach of the team suffers a heart attack and dies on the sidelines of a game, so the school hires Coach Rick Vice. Coach Vice is known for nearly killing an entire Peewee football team in his early years; he says it was all just a misunderstanding, though. I won’t tell you how it ends, but even though it isn’t on Netflix anymore, everyone should take the time out of their day to watch this movie somehow.

The replacements include shows such as Disjointed, Marvel’s Iron Fist, Gypsy, Friends From College, and many others. All of which completely flopped. Netflix has made some good shows, though, and I must give credit where credit is due.  They made 13 Reasons Why, Stranger Things, and Orange is the New Black, all of which did very well. While they do have the capability to produce some good shows, they shouldn’t be getting rid of old classics that everyone loves. Netflix needs to realize that they can’t possibly match the level of quality TV that these programs did, and that removing them and making their own shows is a death wish.

• Netflix removals: the sad truth

• Netflix removals: the sad truth

• Netflix removals: the sad truth

• Netflix removals: the sad truth

• Netflix removals: the sad truth

• Netflix removals: the sad truth

• Netflix removals: the sad truth

• Netflix removals: the sad truth

• Netflix removals: the sad truth

• Netflix removals: the sad truth

Netflix removals: the sad truth