NBT concert review

Alternative music at the biggest concert in the South

Logan Tronio, Staff Writer

The Next Big Thing Concert is a collection of rising and largely popular alternative bands preformed at MidFlorida Ampitheater. In the past it has debuted artists like Twenty-One Pilots and X Ambassadors, some of which have come back multiple years. This year included a few returning bands and some who are new to the NBT experience. The main acts included The Lumineers, Paramore, X Ambassadors, Walk the Moon and Vance Joy. These are typically the bands that draw the crowds which is good for the smaller bands that are able to play and gain a lot of publicity for just playing. Since they had so many main acts, this was the first year it spanned two days, making it the largest Next Big Thing there has ever been and having more acts than any of them in the past.

The first day had only five artists but I believe had better of the bands. The first day led with The Aces and The Arkelles, who were smaller bands I had personally never heard but definitely earned their place while by being both good entertainers and appealing to a more acoustic style of alternative. They were followed by a local band who has gained lots of popularity through the multiple concerts they have been playing in the last year, Magic Giant. I have seen them multiple occasions in the past year and they are one of the most entertaining up and coming alternative bands with their ways to engage the audience and project their energy in their music but in performance. After these great opening acts came the headliners of the night, X Ambassadors and The Lumineers, definitely the highlight of the night as both bands gave killer performances and revamped the crowd’s energy. After three other great acts, they we definitely the best choice to end the night.

Day two started early Sunday at 10 and led with many small bands that it was their first time performing at NBT. They didn’t compare to the headliners of the night before but they did keep the crowd that engaged showed up that early. Then at about seven o’clock it felt as though the concert had kicked into gear. Starting with the typical openers and well known bands just prepping us for the main acts. The second day seemed more spaced out than the first with roughly 20 minutes between sets which was well appreciated because of the length of the concert. But it was short lived as is dragged on I became more anxious to see the main bands of the day, Vance Joy, Walk the Moon and Paramore. Vance Joy was up first with his more acoustic style of alternative, he played his most popular songs naturally, but soon dedicated his act to performing his unreleased songs. All of which were great as he used stories he’s heard on tour as motivation. Next was Walk the Moon, who seem to be the best performance of the day. They shared some of their classics and created a lot of energy for the final act, Paramore. When the first started they played quite a few of their new songs which don’t quite have the same energy and emotion the first ones have. They quickly remedy this by ending the show with the best of their early careers, which was the best note the concert could have ended on. Overall NBT 2017 was one for the book being the first 2 day event they’ve had, and I look forward to what they bring to the plate next year.

• NBT concert review

• NBT concert review

• NBT concert review

• NBT concert review

• NBT concert review

• NBT concert review

• NBT concert review

• NBT concert review

• NBT concert review

• NBT concert review

NBT concert review