Holiday season game guide

The Christmas noobs are coming

Jackson Rowland, Staff Writer

Christmas is almost here, and it is the time of year when people who didn’t acquire games on their release date can finally get the games they’ve been dying to play. Luckily, there are plenty of great games available at the moment, so if Santa is feeling generous, you might be able to acquire a few.

Of course the big story every year is Call of Duty. The Christmas noobs will come with their low K/Ds and lack of map knowledge, ready to be slaughtered by skilled players like my friends and I. Fortunately, Call of Duty seems to be on an upward slope after doing poorly the past few years. The new WWII setting is intriguing and provides many unique gameplay experiences. The story mode makes true Call of Duty fans feel nostalgic as it takes us back to the feel of the original games. In multiplayer, the game mode “War” is a nice step towards rejuvenating the multiplayer gameplay which has felt stale in past games. Zombies mode is back and better than ever with more gruesome zombies and frantic gameplay. Call of Duty is the complete package and I definitely recommend picking it up this holiday season.

Of course, EA has released the new sports games for the year, which are always in high demand. Whether you’re a soccer, football, or basketball fan, EA has a game for you. Although each new EA sports game practically feels like their predecessors, new still provide unique experiences and some new gameplay features. NBA 2K18 features Kyrie Irving on the cover and gives you the opportunity to play as Lonzo Ball or Ben Simmons. FIFA continues its commitment to provide a true soccer simulator in this installment, offering beautiful graphics and realistic gameplay. Madden 18 delivers again and is another standout sports game. EA creates some of the best sports games out there and this Christmas is the best time to pick them up.

Of course, if you’re feeling a little adventurous, two games standout as exciting and beautifully massive games. The new Assassin’s Creed, Assassin’s Creed Origins, and the new Lord of the Rings: Shadow of War games are some of the best games to be released this year. Assassin’s Creed takes place in Ancient Egypt. Its new combat system is a massive upgrade and the size of the game offers much to explore and many hours of play. Shadow of War is known for its intense combat system and its incredible “Nemisis” system which offers a unique gameplay experience to everyone but memorizing different events enacted by the player and utilizing those within the game. No player acts exactly the same, hence the game will never be exactly the same for two people. As far as “bang for your buck” goes, these two games are perhaps the best, offering hours of content for the same price as the games mentioned before.

This holiday season, many new games are available. Whether you’re a sports player or an RPGer, there are plenty of options for everyone this year. No choice is the wrong choice with this year’s selection, so get your game and get started because you have some catching up to do.

• Holiday season game guide

• Holiday season game guide

• Holiday season game guide

• Holiday season game guide

• Holiday season game guide

• Holiday season game guide

• Holiday season game guide

• Holiday season game guide

• Holiday season game guide

• Holiday season game guide

Holiday season game guide