Celebrity Big Brother

Expect the unexpected

Jacklyn Duffek, Editor in Chief

After 19 years of ordinary house guests, CBS is changing the game and announced that Friday, February 7th will start the first ever American season of Celebrity Big Brother. CBB has had multiple seasons overseas on Britain’s Big Brother, but none of the episodes have been available to American fans. Trust me; I’ve attacked the Internet searching for it.

A concept taken from 1984 by George Orwell, 20 ordinary people from across the country (now celebrities) leave their everyday lives as they prepare to remain in the Big Brother house for 100 days. Hopefully, these celebrities will be able to uphold the traditional game of BB, where each week, the house guests endure physical endurance competitions that last hours and mental challenges that decide players’ fate and full breakdowns.

If you’re unfamiliar with the game, every Monday the house competes to see who wins Head of Household. The HOH nominates two people for eviction, but on Wednesday, a Power of Veto comp gives the nominees a chance to save themselves and back stab the HOH. There must be two people nominated for eviction at all times, so if a POV winner removes they from the Block, another house guest takes their place. Whoever the two are left on the block come eviction night on Sunday, are the couple nominated for eviction and one will be exiting the house.

This game runs on lies, deception, false loyalty and desire. Known to fans as the Puppet Master, former house guest Paul (season 18 & 19) became the most manipulative person to ever enter the house. His constant control ran the house for two years. Winner of BB19 Josh Martinez stated, “Looking into Paul’s eyes, was like looking at the Devil.”

With all this background knowledge, fans keep wondering if celebrities will actually be able to handle this. The goal of Orwell’s Big Brother was to psychologically break you, and that definitely happens (cue YouTube video of Raven from BB19 barking like a dog for 42 minutes). No names have been confirmed, but some tossed around have been Shane Dawson (YouTuber and director) Blac Chyna (mother to Rob Kardashian’s baby) Kelly Osbourne (Fashion Police) Charlie Sheen (Two & a Half Men) Anthony Scaramucci and Sean Spicer (politicians) and Gary Busey (emotionally unstable). My grandmother, Queen Kathleen, has watched the show since it first aired in 1998. When asked who she would like to see in the house I received, “Not Gary Busey! Definitely Tom Selleck if I could be in the house with him. What about Paris Hilton?”

I was also curious what her predictions are for which group of celebrities would make the best players. “I think young musicians have a good chance; they’re down for anything. Politicians are a no-there would be too many fights, they would take it too personally.” On both statements, I have to agree.

Celebrity Big Brother has a strong name to uphold with all these super-fans hyped for the premiere. Whichever house guests arrive, we know it’ll be quite a show.

• Celebrity Big Brother

• Celebrity Big Brother

• Celebrity Big Brother

• Celebrity Big Brother

• Celebrity Big Brother

• Celebrity Big Brother

• Celebrity Big Brother

• Celebrity Big Brother

• Celebrity Big Brother

• Celebrity Big Brother

Celebrity Big Brother