Pitch Perfect 3 hits the theaters

Just when we thought it was aca-over…

The original Pitch Perfect brought in a total gross revenue of $117 million 
dollars in 2012.

Photo provided by elle.com

The original Pitch Perfect brought in a total gross revenue of $117 million dollars in 2012.

Tori Valby, Staff Writer

After being amazed with the pure and one-of-a kind entertainment from the first two movies, the arrival of Pitch Perfect 3 was a cause for celebration. The acapella group that changed the lives of millions of fans consistently left us wanting more and more- a third movie was bound to happen. I must say, though it was not nearly as exciting as the first two, it was a job well done.

Becca and Fat Amy never cease to leave the audience in an uproar of laughter. Just when we thought that the Barden Bellas were done singing, they find one more excuse to come together at an overseas USO tour and put on a stellar performance. The other performers introduced in this movie were quite interesting. I wasn’t a fan of how they strayed from the “acapella path” and made use of instruments, but I can’t complain about their voices. The riff-off scene was somewhat awkward, as it was so far from anything we had seen before, but the Bellas remained impressive. I wish there were more opportunities within the movie for the girls to show off their riff-off skills. Also, the first two movies included more medleys of songs during the performances, while the Bellas stuck to one song most of the time in this movie. I must admit, that is simply not as impressive or entertaining.

The first movie left fans singing the iconic cup song, the second movie ended with the catchy Flashlight song, but I can’t seem to remember one of the songs that was sung in this movie, which is disappointing, as I would have loved to become obsessed with yet another Pitch Perfect song. The common pattern of sequels and trilogies being seen as taking it too far definitely came into play here. Don’t get me wrong, it was a good movie! In fact, it made 2.1 million dollars opening night. However, it simply failed to live up to its own standards, a fate many movies unfortunately come face to face with in the end.

The story line overall was interesting, bringing in DJ Khaled and a new prospect for Becca herself, Theo, played by Guy Burnet (even though we all wish it was Jessie). The introduction of Fat Amy’s father was somewhat confusing and irrelevant to the story line, but seemed to be the backbone of nearly the entire second half of the movie. Finally, the ending performance always left me with goosebumps, and as the music began, I could feel the mood shift in the theater to one of utter excitement. Little did we know, Becca would perform a solo for the first half, tapping her foot and recording voice overs instead of the Bellas performing popular, recent songs that fans could sing along to.

I truly expected more from the movie that inspired an acapella revolution in 2012, but as we all know, all good things must come to an end, and this story finally did. I am glad I saw it so that I could experience it for the last time, but I wish that I left feeling as excited as when I arrived. Again, it is not that they did a bad job; it just proved too difficult to do “as good” of a job as they did in the first two movies.

• Pitch Perfect 3 hits the theaters

• Pitch Perfect 3 hits the theaters

• Pitch Perfect 3 hits the theaters

• Pitch Perfect 3 hits the theaters

• Pitch Perfect 3 hits the theaters

• Pitch Perfect 3 hits the theaters

• Pitch Perfect 3 hits the theaters

• Pitch Perfect 3 hits the theaters

• Pitch Perfect 3 hits the theaters

• Pitch Perfect 3 hits the theaters

Pitch Perfect 3 hits the theaters