Best movies of 2017

2017’s best offerings in no particular order

Max Jimenez, Staff Writer

With 2017 in the past, it must be said that it was an exceptional year for cinema. Despite movie theaters charging exorbitant ticket prices these days, I firmly believe that we are in a time where this medium is still thriving in a creative sense and that it is important to still go out and watch a movie at your local theater. Hundreds of films were released in 2017 and several of them are a must watch in my opinion.

1. Blade Runner 2049

Blade Runner 2049 is a sequel to Ridley Scott’s 1982 science fiction masterpiece Blade Runner, considered to be one of the greatest sci-fi movies of all time. This movie does not disappoint, even in comparison to the original. Few movies these days have made me marvel at the setting alone. The movie’s plot is second only to its stunning cinematography. 2049 picks up 30 years after the events of the first movie, and 20 years after “The Blackout,” a cataclysmic event where most information of the past was lost. The world is incredibly detailed, yet there is still a sense of mysteriousness that is draped over dystopian Los Angeles. In my opinion, 2049 is best enjoyed on the silver screen. Only in a theater, can you fully experience the remarkable visuals, and pulsing score by Hans Zimmer.

1. Get Out

In Jordan Peele’s solo writer and directorial debut, he struck gold with this film. A horror film at its core, Get Out blends the horror genre with striking social commentary, and excellent plot with the same wit that he used in some of the darker sketches on Key and Peele, such as “Family Matters” and “Flash Mob.” The sequence where the main character, Chris, escapes showcases the strength of the plot and its intricate details which slowly build and lead to a suspenseful climax. A truly tremendous film that will leave the audience pondering the resemblance between the film and the issues that it addresses days after seeing it.

1. Dunkirk

What can I say about Dunkirk that hasn’t already been said? This World War 2 film tells the story of hundreds of thousands of Allied troops that are trapped by Germans on the beaches of Dunkirk in northern France. The Royal Navy then requests that civilian vessels that can get close to the beach must help evacuate the mass. Many are calling this Christopher Nolan’s best film to date. The use of music in the film really adds to the overall tension of the film, as Nolan wanted to create suspense using means other than dialogue. Utilizing masterful shots to depict the Battle of Dunkirk, this film is truly a marvel to watch.

1. Baby Driver

Unequivocally the most stylish film on this list, Baby Driver tells the story of a young getaway driver caught up in a network of criminal bank robbers, and who will do anything to protect the ones he loves. Writer and director Edgar Wright’s focus for the film was the soundtrack, which is played throughout the film from several iPods. The entire film is influenced by the music chosen for the film, right down to the pacing of various scenes in it. Car chases and gunfights are choreographed to every song, which pairs well with several slick visual cues that Wright utilized in this film. ­ Supported by great performances by Jon Hamm and Jaime Foxx, this crime comedy hybrid is a film that everyone can find enjoyable.

• Best movies of 2017

• Best movies of 2017

• Best movies of 2017

• Best movies of 2017

• Best movies of 2017

• Best movies of 2017

• Best movies of 2017

• Best movies of 2017

• Best movies of 2017

• Best movies of 2017

Best movies of 2017