Eminem’s Revival

A not-so-legendary comeback

Eminem did little to revive his career with his new album.

Troy Dyer, Staff Writer

One of the greatest names in rap and music, Eminem, has dropped his new album. Now normally this is quite a big deal in the rap genre, but it has seemed to flop this time around. Eminem is a highly respected Detroit rapper, coming up in his career as “Slim Shady” but changing his name halfway through his career. This album titled Revival has sparked some hype up to its release, mainly due to Eminem’s freestyle, naturally calling out the president. This album was supposed to bring him back into the mainstream, back into the conversation of big rappers right now. But this album was poorly done and he managed to capture only one good hit off it with the song “River” (feat. Ed Sheeran), which still holds high on the top 50 songs on Spotify right now.

So, let’s talk about it. The opening song “Walk on Water” (feat. Beyoncé) leads with this calm piano and chorus by Beyoncé, giving a soft mood to the album. Eminem then comes in with his verses, acknowledging his flaws, his downfalls, and where he stands in the music industry right now, and it’s a quite beautiful song. Eminem opens his feelings, which is something quite rare for him, and he knows that he is falling in popularity and slowly becoming an artist out of the loop. However, this mood is changed quickly with the next two tracks, which can be regarded as some of the worse produced and mixed of Eminem’s songs ever. We should just leave that there; these songs just are not that great. The fourth song in the album takes views of dirty cops and then switches to the people that are affected by those crooked cops. This song shows Eminem’s view on what’s happing with the system right now and what needs to be fixed. Next is “River” (feat Ed Sheeran), a very personal song, opening Eminem’s past with his daughter and his old relationships. The beat never gets too heavy and mainly consisted of drums and guitar. The next two songs, “Remind Me intro” and “Remind Me” can honestly be disregarded as well. The song brings in a sample of an 80s hit rock song and Eminem includes his verses and chorus on the main beats of the sample. After that is the title track “Revival” with an unnamed feature, singing a beautiful verse and portraying Eminem’s purpose of the album. Next is “Like Home” (feat. Alicia Keys), Eminem’s political song where he gives his view straight forward on the government and the people running it. It’s his “band together” type song to stay strong and keep together as one and “fight the man” as they say. This track is alright; the chorus is not that great, it does not play out and is quite cheesy with the line “no place like home” repeated over and over. Next on the track list is “Bad Husband” (feat. X Ambassadors). This track is not that great as well; the chorus is not that great, and Eminem has talked about this topic on how bad he is with relationships many, many…many times. The next three songs, “Tragic Endings” (feat. Skylar Grey), “Framed”, and “Nowhere Fast” (feat. Kehlani), are alright. The features are not well placed and do not add much to each song. “Framed” is better where Eminem brings back his flows and some real heavy verses throughout the song. The next song “Heat” can really be skipped as well…with an awful chorus and guitar riff as the beat. Next “Offended” is probably the best track on the album. He really goes off on this one, bringing fast and hard verses. Eminem’s skill and fast flows bring this song to light. The next song “Need Me” (feat. Pink)” is really a Pink song feat. Eminem and should not be in this album. The last three songs help the album come back to its original tone. It slows it down and Eminem opens up again. He finished the album with a beautiful song “Arose” talking about his parents and daughter.

Eminem only has a few good songs on this album, his features were not well placed, and some did not need to be there at all as most of them did not bring anything to the album anyway. The choruses on this album were weak and some of Eminem’s lines were quite cringe worthy. I hope he doesn’t stop making music but his next album, if he comes out with one, needs to be much more personal and he needs to leave out all his young tendencies.

• Eminem’s Revival

• Eminem’s Revival

• Eminem’s Revival

• Eminem’s Revival

• Eminem’s Revival

• Eminem’s Revival

• Eminem’s Revival

• Eminem’s Revival

• Eminem’s Revival

• Eminem’s Revival

Eminem’s Revival