Battle Royale

The popular game Fortnite, a game that falls under the Battle Royale genre.

Chase Cantin, Staff Writer

The Battle Royale genre has been a very popular and interesting idea in many different kinds of entertainment. Books, movies and video games alike all have their own installments of a Battle Royale type events. Now more than ever this genre is being popularized, mainly by video games that have been constantly released over the course of the past few years. In this article I am going to give a history of the rise of the Battle Royale genre in video games.

Believe it or not, the very first game to kick start this Battle Royale revolution was a very popular game called Minecraft. The unique thing about this situation is the fact that Minecraft is not a Battle Royale game. A couple years ago some creative minds took notice to the popular book The Hunger Games which depicts a 24 person Battle Royale to the death, and decided to create their own version of it in Minecraft. Upon releasing this game mode to the public, it received more praise than anyone could have imagined. In fact, the creators of Minecraft took such great notice to this, that it became almost its own game within the game.

Minecraft relatively remained the only Battle Royale type game for quite some time until the makers of the game Arma 2 decided to create their own version of the Battle Royale experience. This Battle Royale was different from that depicted in the Hunger Games and in Minecraft because unlike both of those versions this version of the Battle Royale experience included guns rather than swords and bows. This made the Battle Royale genre explode into much more than it was before. It began to draw attention from all sorts of gamers who stuck to other games. First Person shooter fans who stuck to Call of Duty and Battlefield now looked at the Battle Royale genre with interest because it now suited their gun toting needs.

After exploding onto the mainstream, Battle Royale hit an all new level of popularity. Games such as H1Z1, PUBG, and Fortnite were created and played just for the single purpose of Battle Royale. What was formerly just looked at as a game mode in a game became its own standalone game.

What makes this genre so popular is quite simple. It mixes high adrenaline gameplay with high risk high reward situations, only furthering the adrenaline rush when faced with a dangerous situation. Because of this rewarding gameplay loop, I don’t think that this genre will ever fall off or at least not for a while; rather I believe it will evolve into even more than it currently is.

• Battle Royale

• Battle Royale

• Battle Royale

• Battle Royale

• Battle Royale

• Battle Royale

• Battle Royale

• Battle Royale

• Battle Royale

• Battle Royale

Battle Royale