Fortnite to hit China?

Fortnite could take over the entire world with a release in China.

Photo provided by next-stage.fr

Photo provided by next-stage.fr

Luke Weaver, Staff Writer

Contrary to popular belief, Fortnite hasn’t quite taken over the world. Ludicrously popular in Europe and North America, the hottest game of 2018 has not released in the Asian market. In February, Fortnite, the free to play game that has taken (most) of the world by storm, brought in $126 million. It’s free. All of this money was made from in – game purcases such as character outfits and accessories that are purely cosmetic. Nothing you can buy can give you any sort of advantage over anybody else. In the weeks since developer Epic Games released the mobile version of Fortnite for iOS and Android, Epic has raked in an additional $15 million. Fortnite has also famously knocked PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds from the number one game on Twitch, a streaming service for gamers. But seriously, even with all this excitement and money coming in, Epic Games hasn’t even released the game yet in China. You cannot acquire the game on any Xbox, PlayStation 4, PC, or mobile phone in China, and Epic is being quiet about any future release date.

It’s hard to truly understand just how huge the gaming market is in China. By the end of 2017, at least 10 million copies of PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds were sold on Steam in China and 45% of active players globally were based in China. Fortnite’s release into the Asian market will be a huge deal, because PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds is dominating the scene, and from what we’ve seen in Europe and North America, Fortnite will clean house and take over there too. In January 2018, 67 percent of Steam hardware survey responses were from Chinese users. This is a MASSIVE market that Epic Games appears to be uncharacteristically wary of. Fortnite players are blessed with fantastic developer response to the community’s concerns, and the studio releases solid new content with weekly patches. With Epic Games being so reliable and focused on satisfying their users’ needs, I assume they are focusing on keeping their current player base happy before expanding into such a massive market. There is reason to believe that the shooter – style games such as Call of Duty and Fortnite would make bigger waves in the Western market that is always hungry for a brand new shooter game, as opposed to the eastern market, which tends to fall in love with strategy games such as Dota and League of Legends. Seeing as Steam is crawling with millions of new accounts purchasing PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds, though, this should give Epic Games the motivation they need to release their hit game into the new market.

• Fortnite to hit China?

• Fortnite to hit China?

• Fortnite to hit China?

• Fortnite to hit China?

• Fortnite to hit China?

• Fortnite to hit China?

• Fortnite to hit China?

• Fortnite to hit China?

• Fortnite to hit China?

• Fortnite to hit China?

Fortnite to hit China?