Top Halloween songs

The video for Thriller is an all-time classic.

Skyler DiLoreto, Staff Writer

When thinking of the best holiday music most people tend to immediately jump to Christmas music, but what about Halloween? This season brings back killer music featuring songs from talking skeletons to werewolves and everything in between. Through a combination of Billboard rankings, digital sales, radio airplay, streaming and my own personal preference I have created a list of my own top 7 Halloween songs.

1. “Calling All the Monsters” by China Anne McClain and featured on the Disney show A.N.T. Farm. Any playing of this song can instantly bring you back to fall elementary school memories, and with its catchy hook, it will end up stuck in your head for hours on end.

6.”Time Warp” from The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975). In some ways this song has actually surpassed the popularity of the cult classic film in which it is featured and while most of the blame for this can probably be placed in the significantly more family friendly nature of the song in comparison to the movie, I believe this popularity can also be accredited to exciting tune and lyrics that even inform you of how to do the Time Warp yourself!

1. ”I Put a Spell on You” While the version of the song originally performed by Nina Simone in 1954 is unmatchable, the version of the song that I actually refer is the one performed by Bette Midler in Hocus Pocus (1993) This version of the song is what actually made me aware of its existence and flawlessly captures the dramatic flare of the witches in the movie and always reminds of one of my favorite and most fondly remembered Halloween movies. “
  2. Ghostbusters” by Ray Parker Jr., A great song that served as the featured song in Ghostbusters (1984) that helped, alongside the movie, to create and cement the inescapable “Who you gonna call?” phrase.
  3. ”This is Halloween” by Danny Elfman, This song from the popular Halloween film The Nightmare Before Christmas (1994) is the perfect introduction to the main character of the film, Jack Skellington. The song perfectly toes the line between creepy and comedic, sets the tone of the movie and is the perfect song to play at any Halloween gathering.
  4. ”Monster Mash” by Bobby “Boris” Pickett and the Crypt-Kickers. Personally I can’t think of one Halloween in which I haven’t heard this song being played at a public place at some point in October. The combination of being family friendly and fun makes it enjoyable for all.
  5. ”Thriller” by Michael Jackson. This song is an essential in pop culture and provides not only and iconic song, but a video and dance moves to go along with it that are just as great. At the time it was made, the song’s music video was the most expensive video ever made and that shows through the great quality and in how the video has aged so well, continuing to be watched and celebrated even to this day.
  • Top Halloween songs

• Top Halloween songs

• Top Halloween songs

• Top Halloween songs

• Top Halloween songs

• Top Halloween songs

• Top Halloween songs

• Top Halloween songs

• Top Halloween songs

Spider-Man: Far From Home

• Top Halloween songs

Potentially Record Breaking Weather

Top Halloween songs