How to Train your Dragon: Hidden World review

A look at the epic conclusion to the story of a dragon and a Viking.

A look at the cover of the final conclusion to an epic series.

Madison Stites, Staff Writer

There is only one creature that comes to mind when someone says “pure untainted awesomeness” and that is DRAGONS. These purely magnificent creatures may never have existed in our world, but they have existed in our minds. Due to the power of imagination they can be seen through writing and movies. One particular movie series has focused on dragons and provided an outstanding tale for all ages to enjoy.

Starting in 2010, Dreamworks released the first How To Train Your Dragon telling the story of Toothless, a dragon, and Hiccup, a Viking. Though they are supposed to be enemies, the two become loyal friends after Hiccup shot Toothless down and decided not to kill him but save him. The second film, How To Train Your Dragon 2, was released in 2014 and explored the bond between Hiccup and Toothless, and dragons and Vikings further, developing their friendship through precarious times. Sadly the trilogy has come to an end with the final release of How To Train Your Dragon: Hidden World.

The epic finale was released February 22, 2019. It’s an hour and 44 minutes of dragons, vikings, comedy, and adventure. This remarkable film received a 91% critic review and an 88% audience review on Rotten Tomatoes.  If you haven’t seen it, I highly recommend getting a ticket because it will not disappoint. It follows the second movie, with Hiccup having created his dream of a dragon utopia. Now, it is threatened by a dragon hunter and the Vikings and dragons must move. They decide to attempt to find the legendary “Hidden World” that dragons have supposedly hidden in since the beginning. Meanwhile, Toothless is following a wild and evasive mate and trying to protect the dragons and humans that live in harmony.  While Toothless is off on his own adventure for this movie, Hiccup most learn who he is without his dragon. The story was filled with comedy due to the awkwardness of inexperienced Toothless and the humor of the much loved characters. It was further accompanied by beautiful animation, particularly in the sky/flight scenes. The story was put to an end with a perfectly bittersweet conclusion to the film series, that left the watcher feeling completely satisfied. Though it did have a few similar story lines from the earlier films, they were able to make them intriguing and different enough, to seize the audience. It pulled on all emotions bringing laughter, smiles, and even some tears. The movie showed the power of a perfectly imperfect ending and left the audience both content and sad. It is completely worth watching, particularly if you are a fan of “pure untainted awesomeness.”

• How to Train your Dragon: Hidden World review