Movies coming out in the summer of 2019 that are sure to make waves

The fourth installment of Toy Story introduces a new toy and some new adventures.

Skyler DiLoreto, Staff Writer

Each summer studios and distributors push out some of the movies they expect to be the biggest critical or commercial successes of the year. This partially stems from the increase of disposable income and time in the target audiences, primarily children or young adults, and from the historic success of other films released during these months such as Jaws (1975), which kicked off the summer blockbuster phenomenon. Here are ten of the movies expected to be especially noteworthy this summer.

1. Dark Phoenix, release date: June 7 One of the most significant aspects of this movie is that it is one of the last X-men movies to be produced by Fox. It intends to bring an end to the new X-men trilogy and the Phoenix arc it has followed.
  2. The Lion King, release date: July 19 A live action remake of the classic animated film is set to put a new spin on the story of a son redeeming both himself and his father. This reimagination is sure to bring the movie to a new younger audience and immortalize it.
  3. Toy Story 4, release date: June 21 Pixar’s newest movie appears to continue to follow the lives of Woody and Buzz, beloved characters from the first three Toy Story movies.
  4. Yesterday, release date: June 28 The newest film from director Danny Boyle follows the story of a struggling singer-songwriter who wakes up in a world without the Beatles, he starts performing these songs and becomes an overnight sensation.
  5. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, release date: July 26 Quentin Tarantino’s newest movie which takes place in Los Angeles in 1969 and will partially follow the real-life story of the Manson murders.
  6. Spider-Man: Far From Home, release date: July 2 Marvel’s first film in Phase 4 of the Marvel Cinematic Universe is highly anticipated by both casual and diehard fans alike.
  7. Midsommar, release date: July 3 The second film to be directed by Ari Aster after the  incredibly well-received horror flick Hereditary.
  8. Men in Black: International, release date: June 14 The first Men In Black movie since 2012 and the first not to star Will Smith, this movie hopes to revamp the Men In Black franchise, presumably for Universal to start their own cinematic universe.
  9. The Dead Don’t Die, release date: June 14 This movie is highly anticipated not only for its remarkable ensemble cast, but also because it’s set to open the Cannes film festival this year.
  10. Where’d You Go, Bernadette, release date: August 9 Based off of the popular novel of the same name, this movie is already being discussed as Oscar bait especially for Cate Blanchett, who is playing the main character.
  • Movies coming out in the summer of 2019 that are sure to make waves

AP Exams: Fasting edition

Da Vinci Painting Goes Missing

Going green: pros and cons of a plant-based diet