The new Netflix?

Will Disney+ takes over for top streaming site soon?

Lauren McCloy, Staff Writer

When you think about streaming services, the first thing that comes to mind is Netflix, Hulu, Apple TV Plus, but forget them now that the most anticipated streaming service of the year, Disney Plus, is finally out! For $6.99 a month ($70 if you preorder for a full year), Disney Plus subscribers can watch up to 500 movies and 7,500 TV shows. The service launched in the US on November 12 and has been all the buzz ever since. The competitor, Netflix, is losing a host of Disney content to the new service and has replaced it with a bunch of Nickelodeon. The big question: Is it worth the money?

Disney+’s homepage is not all that different than Netflix’s, and that’s a good thing, easy to navigate and simple. At the top of the Disney+ homepage is a section with the new Star Wars series The Mandalorian and its live-action remake of Lady and the Tramp. Below that are tiles for five major brands: Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars and National Geographic. And even better, Disney+’s premium HD offerings are a great deal for $6.99, and multiple members, or $12.99 per month bundled with Hulu and ESPN+—Disney+ will attract families and anyone else attracted to Disney content. Especially considering that Netflix’s ultra HD plan costs $15.99 a month!

The Marvel channel includes tons of cartoons, going all the way back to that 1960s Spider-Man series. The less-flashy National Geographic channel shouldn’t be ignored; it comes with the Oscar-winner Free Solo, the series Gordon Ramsay: Uncharted; as well as many documentaries on animals and space exploration. There’s even one on the Titanic. The service is buggy at launch, both on the website and on streaming apps, and crashed repeatedly on its first day. But now is working smoothly.

Classic animated features like Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and Pinocchio are there, as well as new Disney shows, or Disney originals such as High School Musical, The Musical, The Series.

In general, Disney+ is worth all the money. And with Verizon you get it free for a whole year! With endless TV shows and movies all from the most wonderful place on Earth, what is better than that?