The most mediocre but great show on Netflix

My personal favorite character, Tamia Cooper. Who is your favorite character?

Claire Maloney, Web Editor

After minimal deliberation I can confirm that after watching All American on Netflix, I can confirm that this show is so mediocre it just might be good. Due to quarantine I have watched more TV than I previously thought imaginable and have watched everything from Tiger King to That 70’s Show to 1917. After all that and so much more, nothing has come close to the mediocrity, greatness that is All American. Stay with me here; it’s so okay and great at the same time, part of each episode you’re cringing while the other half you’re on the edge of your seat.

This show is mediocre across the board but it’s so good. The plot is about Spencer James leaving South Crenshaw High School to attend Beverly Hills High School to further his football career and all the drama that he and the other people in his life go through. Overall, it’s a really interesting show and there’s a little something for everyone to relate to in some way or another, which is always a great way to get attached to a show or to characters. However, the acting can be really bad at times, which can be really distracting from whatever’s going on. The characters can be really dramatic and get mad over just about everything, which is just plain annoying. The plot is so good but there’s so many aspects that make it so mediocre.

The plot keeps you on the edge of your seat, and there’s new twists every episode. Each episode has its own set of ups and downs and it’s never a boring time in the show but it gets to the point that so much is going on and you can’t keep up at times. While I do appreciate a hefty plot line that includes cheating, lying, and backstabbing; it does make for good TV, but the acting can be so bad at times it takes away from the drama that’s going on. The show is well cast but sometimes the scenes seem forced and the characters aren’t really sad or upset, which honestly takes a lot away from the scene and makes it harder to connect to.

All American is good, I’ll give it that, but it could be so much better. I’m only a few episodes in but already my patience is running quite thin with certain characters, they complain and lie and are just terrible people at times, I don’t want to spoil anything. I have a lot of problems with the show yet somehow at the same time I would say it’s a must watch, as long as you don’t mind drama queens that much.