Pikachu returns as Ryan Reynolds

With Ryan Reynolds voicing Pikachu, what could possibly go wrong?

Sarah Thompson, Staff Writer

In the film Detective Pikachu, which was released in 2019, young Tim Goodman (played by Justice Smith) goes in search of his dead father Ace Detective Harry. Tim, unlike many others, believes that his father is still alive, and sets off to his apartment in order to look for any clues of his father’s disappearance. Tim meets many people during his search like the reporter Lucy Stevens, Detective Hideo and Howard Clifford. Tim struggles with many different emotions throughout his journey, like grief, acceptance, anger, and feeling guilty but he tries to make sure that those feelings don’t hinder his efforts in finding his dad.

Once at his father’s apartment, Tim runs into a talking Pikachu (voiced by Ryan Reynolds), more specifically a Pikachu that only he can hear talk, everyone else just hears normal Pikachu noises. Tim learns that that Pikachu was his father’s former Pokemon partner; the only problem is that Pikachu has amnesia, and even though he was with Harry when he ‘died’ he can’t remember what happened. The two work together piecing everything together to find out what really happened that day, and to hopefully find Tim’s father as well as help Pikachu regain his memories.

While the movie did receive harsh reviews, for the bad acting and confusing plot, it’s still a great movie. As long as you have a large amount of knowledge about the world of Pokemon, it makes sense and is an amazing film. Even the trailer contained all sorts of Easter eggs hinting at funny little moments in the actual show and games. Like Jigglypuff holding the sharpie, a poster of a missing squirtle that was last seen at Professor Oak’s Lab, and a note from the Gym leader Chelsea. I personally grew up with the show and games, so I had a blast while watching, and loved the reveal at the end, as well as the fact that there was more than just one betrayal scene. I also loved the character development that we get to see in Tim as he searches with Pikachu.

With many plot twists and betrayals, this movie will never be forgotten to me, and despite a majority of hate directed at it, I would have to give this movie an 8/10. The movie stayed true to the games and even anime. I loved the ending, and it really had a good surprise at the end. Even having Mewtwo make a surprise appearance helping to save the day.