Don’t you just love a good tragedy?

The photo above shows the main character Harold Crick calling out, with a sublime that says it all.

Sarah Thompson, Staff Writer

In the 2006 film Stranger Than Fiction, Harold Crick, played by Will Ferrell, tries to save his life from a depressed writer named Karen Eiffel who unknowingly tries to kill him off in her latest book. Harold is an IRS auditor, and one day he starts to hear a voice in his head narrating everything he does, and as he tries to figure out what’s going on, he meets the love of his life.

Harold is a very calculative man, not in a manipulative way, but literally. He counts the number of steps he walks, the number of times each tooth is brushed, he counts the seconds that pass through his watch, he counts everything. Which is why he does so well at his job as an IRS auditor. Because of the way Harold is, he only has one friend, his co-worker Dave, and lives alone with no pets and no romance. But one day, Harold’s life changes when out of the blue he begins to hear a woman’s voice narrating everything he does. And no matter how hard he looked, he could not find where the voice came from, until he realized it was in his head. And one day, when his watch had reset itself, he asked for the time from a nearby person, and the voice said, “Little did he know that this simple, seemingly innocuous act would result in his imminent death.” To which he freaks out about.

Harold seeks help with a psychiatrist, who tells him he has schizophrenia, but denying it, he leaves. As he continues to work, he gets worse and worse, until he goes out to audit a young woman named Ana Pascal. While they got off to a bad start, the two grew closer and closer, but Harold worried about the voice sought out help from an English professor named Jules Hilbert. Professor Hilbert believes Harold’s story and the work together in order to figure it out. As Hilbert tries to figure out what story Harold is in, Harold grows even closer and closer with Ana. Soon the two try to figure out whether Harold is in a tragedy or comedy, and unfortunately for Harold it’s a tragedy. The movie has many funny scenes, one such being when Ana gave Harold a cookie since he had a bad day, but then follows up with saying how she made sure that he had a bad day, since she was mad at him.

This movie has many great scenes and funny moments, so I have to give it a 9/10. It’s a great family film and great Rom-com, and Harold tries to avoid death, while slowly growing as a character himself. There was lots of great character development in him and in Karen Eiffel.