Upcoming Marvel projects and what we know so far

I am a huge fan of the Marvel Cinematic Universe and I have some heavy research about the upcoming projects that will for sure get you excited for the next two-three years.

The next Phase 4 Marvel TV shows and movies premiering between 2022, 2023, and 2024.

Maddox Greenberg, Staff Writer

I have seen Marvel movies in the past.  But over the summer last year, I re-watched Captain America: The First Avenger all-the-way through and suddenly got into Marvel even more.  Ever since then, I have followed several comic book movie/TV show rumor websites like ComicBookResources.com and movie news like ScreenRant on Facebook.  I had even read lists of the upcoming Marvel projects before the Loki and The Falcon and the Winter Soldier series came out.  Let me summarize what the upcoming projects are about and who will be in it.

Television Shows

On Wednesday, on Disney+, the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) released its latest show called Moon Knight.  The show follows Oscar Isaac’s character Steven Grant who, in the comics, was one of the few personalities of Marc Spector, a former CIA operative and mercenary.  In the comics, Marc was in Egypt with a fellow mercenary when he was left for dead before saved by the Egyptian moon god, Khonshu.  Khonshu strikes a deal with Marc to protect the innocent while also becoming the “Moon’s Knight”; in exchange, Khonshu lets Marc live.  Marc has multiple personalities, including a taxi driver (to hear the news from the streets) and billionaire businessman (to fund the Moon Knight’s gadgets and such).  This is Arthur Harrow.  I don’t know if the six-episode series will fully talk about all of Marc’s identities, but maybe it will.  Ms. Marvel follows Kamala Khan (Iman Vellani), a 16-year-old Pakistani-American teen, who idolizes Captain Marvel.  She somehow gets the same powers as Captain Marvel, and she thinks of becoming like her.  I heard that, I believe, the star of the show or one of the co-stars says to not doubt this series.  But I think this show is the stupidest idea ever because it basically is Comic-Con but with powers.  Next is She-Hulk, which follows Tatiana Maslany’s Jennifer Walters who, after a failed blood transfusion with her cousin Bruce Banner a.k.a. the Hulk, she gains his powers.  She is also a lawyer.  Again, dumb plot.  But we got Tim Roth’s Abomination and Mark Ruffalo’s Bruce Banner/the Hulk.  Then we got X-Men ’97, which reprises the original 1990s cartoon television series about the X-Men.  It will air on Disney+ in 2023 and, per IGN.com, several of the original voice actors will return.  Other upcoming television series I won’t get in too much detail include Samuel L. Jackson-led series Secret Invasion, which is about the transforming alien species, the Skrulls, that are hiding among the rest of the world and the controversy behind it (they supposedly shapeshifted into the bodies of political leaders around the globe),  with Don Cheadle’s James “Rhodie” Rhodes in it; I Am Groot, a series of shorts of Groot growing up; Ironheart is about RiRi Williams who makes her own Iron Man-esque suit (rumors say she’ll be in Black Panther 2); Echo, the adoptive deaf daughter of Kingpin (the series has no plot yet); Agatha: House of Harkness, the plotless series will follow Agatha after WandaVision; Spider-Man: Freshman Year which is about Peter Parker when he got his powers, before he joined the Avengers and Captain American: Civil War; and Marvel Zombies, about the famed comic book series and What If..? episode about the Avengers becoming zombies.  Others coming soon in the next few years are Armor Wars, a series following the aftermaths of Endgame led by Don Cheadle’s character trying to stop a corrupt company from taking Tony Stark’s technology; Werewolf by Night, a Halloween series that will reportedly feature Mahershala Ali’s Blade in it (and I predict Moon Knight will be featured in it because Moon Knight debuted in Werewolf by Night in the comics); a series called Wakanda, with so far no distinct plot; and second seasons of Loki (maybe we will get a more in-depth look at how the TVA would feel about the multiverse occurring and what Strange must have done) and What If..?.

Movies

On Friday, Jared Leto’s movie Morbius came out in theaters.  The movie is based on the Spider-Man villain in the comics.  Michael Morbius had a dangerous blood disorder that he tries to cure by vampirism.  He becomes a vampire.  Basically, Marvel’s version of Twilight.  I heard there aren’t that many positive reviews about it, but I am just interested in what it may or may not become. Some critics claimed it was boring and confusing.  What I read from more than seven people was it wasn’t half bad.  Pretty good.  In May, Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness follows the aftermaths of Doctor Strange’s spell attempt to make everyone forget that Peter Parker is Spider-Man that resulted in the Multiverse.   Doctor Strange requests help from Elizabeth Olsen’s Wanda Maximoff (the Scarlet Witch) and newcomer and first LGBTQ+ Marvel character America Chavez (played by Xochitl Gomez).  Strange faces Zombie Strange, Supreme Strange, Sinister Strange, and Defender Strange.  Rumors are Mr. Fantastic, Namor, Professor X, and even the Illuminati (Professor X, Namor, Mr. Fantastic, and Doctor Strange consist of the group in the comics along with Black Panther and Tony Stark who watch over the other universes) and the “Time Council”, who control the Multiverse, will star in it as well.  Even Deadpool is rumored to be a part of this.  Many want this to bring in the X-Men to the MCU ever since Disney bought Fox (Disney owns Marvel also).  This is to be Marvel’s first horror movie and will definitely be the biggest movie of the year.  Thor: Love and Thunder will have Chris Hemsworth return as Thor, Tessa Thompson as Valkyrie, the Guardians of the Galaxy, and Natalie Portman returning as Jane Foster/Female Thor.  Christian Bale will star as Gorr the God Butcher.  This makes sense since we will reportedly even see the Greek Gods like Zeus (played by Russell Crowe) appearing in the movie.  Also, reportedly, Natalie Portman will wield Mjolnir, which makes sense since in the comics she does that. Black Panther: Wakanda Forever will have the daunting task on trying to recast Chadwick Boseman’s character T’Challa/Black Panther after Boseman’s tragic death.  In the comics, T’Challa’s sister Shuri takes over as Black Panther.  However, from what I heard, through rumors, the actress who plays Shuri doesn’t want to be in the movie anymore and kept postponing filming.  Namor, a sea Marvel character (think DC Comics’ Aquaman), will reportedly play the villain.  The Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special will be a holiday special (no duh) with director James Gunn in it.  It will fall between the Thor movie and the third and final Guardians movie.  The Marvels will include Captain Marvel, Ms. Marvel, and adult Monica Rambeau (from the first Captain Marvel movie and from WandaVision).  No plot has been released for now.  Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 will be the last we will see the Guardians together.  Reportedly, sorry for the spoilers, Drax and, maybe, Rocket will be gone.  I know Dave Bautista doesn’t want to play Drax anymore.  Will Poulter’s Adam Warlock will be the villain of the movie.  We saw him in the end-credits scene of Volume 2 with the gold-people creating Adam.  Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania, which I am excited for, will see the cast from the last movie return, with the teenage Cassie from Endgame, as they face Kang the Conqueror (Phase 4’s villain, who, in the comics, controls the multiverse).  An early report I read said that the Fantastic Four will debut (since, at one point in the comics, Mr. Fantastic worked with Hank Pym).  Also, I heard Bill Murray will play a part in the movie.  Don’t know who yet.  We will also get a second Shang-Chi movie, a Blade movie, a fourth Captain America movie, a Fantastic 4 movie, a Nova project, and the first R-rated Marvel Movie… Deadpool 3!  I heard Al, Wade Wilson’s (Ryan Reynolds) blind roommate, will join the MCU.  I know I am not the only one excited for the next two years.

What movie/series are you most excited to see?  What are you expecting out of Phase 4?

P.S. Forgive any of my inaccuracies stated/quoted for any of the comic book lovers/Marvel movie fans out there.  This all comes from many websites from people who have read tons and tons of Marvel comics and know what they are talking about.