Ranking the 22 books I’ve read in 2022

An honest ranking of the 22 books total that I have read this year.

Reading+is+one+of+my+favorite+parts+about+life+at+the+moment%2C+and+in+the+four+%28almost+five%29+months+of+2022+I+have+already+read+22+books+in+total.+

Reading is one of my favorite parts about life at the moment, and in the four (almost five) months of 2022 I have already read 22 books in total.

Makayla Bech, Staff Writer

I have always been someone who loves reading; however, this year I decided it would be one of my goals to read as much as I can. I was surprised when I held myself to that and have been very successful. I think the reason as to why I have been able to read so much and enjoy it is because I have found a genre that fits with what I enjoy. I love how since now I don’t really have any assigned reading, I can read for fun, and it has turned into a healthy addiction at this point. I believe that everyone can learn the love of reading, all it takes is a single book for it to all begin. As the year has progressed, I have so far read 22 books. I have loved some, and hated some, so I decided it would be fun to list/rate all the books!

1. Starting off in last place overall, we have They Both Die at the End by Adam Silvera. This book contained little to no interesting details and was extremely overrated. I was excited to read this because of all the hype it had been receiving, however, to say that it was undetailed and predictable would be an understatement. At many points Silvera could have taken different plots and made this book more readable, but unfortunately it was highly disorganized and not a good book. It was honestly something I would have read in the third grade.
  2. Silver Bay by Jojo Moyes was an overall good story and an easy-to-read novel. Unlike my depiction and hate for the previously mentioned novel, this book is low on the list because Jojo Moyes has so many better reads. You can easily read this book in a day; it would be a fun book to read in the summer, especially for a day at the beach.
  3. Good Girl Complex by Sarah Penner was a very fun book to read. I liked the way that it was a light-hearted romance story and held a lot of humor within. It was easy and enjoyable to read. My only criticism is that some of the plots in the story were strung out and some characters could have gone without being mentioned.
  4. The Love Hypothesis by Ali Hazelwood is a rom-com novel which depicts a strange romantic relationship between a professor and a student (the professor is not the teacher of the student). I really liked the way that this book brought both science and fiction together and I enjoyed reading it. I will say that there was a bit too much pda going on for my liking, but other than that, it was a solid read.
  5. The Way of the Peaceful Warrior by Dan Millman was a novel that I had to read for my philosophy class, and despite having to do assignments for it, I found the book very interesting. This book includes the philosopher Socrates as he teaches a normal guy how to become a warrior. I enjoyed reading it, however at times it did get a bit strange, and it seemed as though it was jumping from one conflict to another, leaving things unresolved.
  6. The Spanish Love Deception by Elena Armas, was yet another rom com that I read. I went through a little phase in the last few months where all I wanted to read was stories that included enemies to lovers’ tropes, and I will say this book implemented that profoundly well. It was a good story, and I liked the way that it tied in Hispanic culture. However, I will say that I began to get bored of my rom-com phase and for that reason this novel does have a lower ranking.
  7. The Hating Game by Sally Thorne again ties my enemies to lover’s trope phase. I really liked the way that this book was extremely lighthearted, and it was a fun book to read. It was very humorous, and I will say how the two so-called enemies fall in love was undoubtedly adorable.
  8. The Maze Runner by James Dashner was not my favorite book. I was forced into reading this when my best friend Bianca found out that I have never read nor seen the Maze Runner books and movies. I read this out of the kindness of my heart, and I will say it was an interesting read. The plot and conflicts within the story were very intriguing and I found myself on the edge of my seat quite often. Despite how I did enjoy reading the book, I did not enjoy it enough to read the sequels, and when I attempted to watch the movie, I had to turn it off within the first five minutes.
  9. Beach Read by Emily Henry was a very interesting book to read. The story depicted two writers who went to school together, and just so happened to end up being neighbors. The two authors decide to challenge each other to switch genres and end up falling in love. This was a fun book to read, and I did read it during my enemies to lovers’ phase; however, it was decent, and I would recommend it to someone who wants an easy-to-read novel.
  10. After You by Jojo Moyes is the sequel to her best-selling novel, Me Before You. I read Me Before You and loved it so much that I had no other choice than to read the second novel. I did enjoy reading this; however, it was incomparable to the first book. I think that I read this mostly to get closure and ensure that the characters that I loved ever so dearly ended up being okay.
  11. Man’s Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl is yet another book that I was assigned to read for my philosophy class. This book withholds first account depictions of life in a concentration camp during the Holocaust. This book was extremely hard to read and many times I did not want to continue reading it. It made me sick to my stomach knowing that this happened to real people and found myself crying several times. I do, however, believe that it is a good book to read so that we never repeat history again and get a better understanding of history.
  12. The Unhoneymooners by Christina Lauren was yet another enemy to lovers; however, with this one I could not set it down. I absolutely fell in love with the characters and found myself finishing the book in one sitting. This book was written lightheartedly, and I absolutely loved the banter and humor within the pages.
  13. The Last Time We Say Goodbye by Cynthia Hand was a heartbreaking novel to read. It followed the life of a young girl whose brother committed suicide. This novel contained the hard facts of what it is like to lose someone to suicide. I admired the writing for how honest it was, Hand made sure to not sugarcoat or romanticize the grieving and I believe that that is a very admirable trait not only for the story, but for the author as well.
  14. The Way I Used to Be by Amber Smith followed the life of a young girl after she was raped by her brother’s best friend. This novel is heartbreaking and really opens the eyes of the reader in that they become aware that such things can happen to anyone. Watching the main character deal with this trauma was eye-opening and devastating, knowing that the truth could mean danger or freedom.
  15. The Plot by Jean Hanff Korelitz was a book that followed a struggling writer and how he rose to fame through lies and secrets. I really enjoyed reading this book because it included not only the protagonists’ current journey, but also includes excerpts from his stolen novel which keeps the story more interesting and connects pieces to the past. This book was very intriguing, and I liked the way that it was unpredictable; however, when the pieces fell together, everything made sense.
  16. The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennett is a novel that brings awareness to racism but does so in a very uncommon way. I loved this book because the concept of it is something that no one ever thinks about. I enjoyed this book a lot and I think that it is a book that is important to read because of the message behind it.
  17. Ugly Love by Colleen Hoover. There is not much I have to say about this book other than the fact that when I think about it, I still get stressed and on edge. I kid you not it was two in the morning, and I was sitting on the edge of my bed trying to understand the twists and turns within this story. Even though it stressed me out, it was worth the read especially because it did have a happy ending.
  18. The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reed was one of my favorite books that I have read. I loved reading about the mysteries behind the famous lifestyle and the secrets held within it. I also loved getting to know why this famous actress married so many men, and that was to hide the fact that she was in love with someone who she could never admit.
  19. The Lost Apothecary by Sarah Penner is one of the best historical fiction novels that I have read to date. I absolutely loved the usage of a dual timeline and the way in which I was able to learn so much about history, but in an enjoyable way. I loved the mystical tone of the piece and the unraveling of the past.
  20. Verity by Colleen Hoover was a terrifying and truthful novel. I had never read anything like it before and despite how horrifying it was, I was still very intrigued by the plot and was scared by the idea that even the most trusting of people can be evil. Another great aspect of the book is that I will forever be scared that the people I love most are not how they seem to be.
  21. The Summer of Lost Letters by Hannah Reynolds is yet another historical fiction novel that I adored reading. It was the perfect mixture of romance, mystery, and history. I fell in love with all the characters and loved how the author incorporated Jewish history into the plot of the novel.
  22. The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue by V.E Schawb must be on the top of this list, but also on the top list of all the books that I have read before (even though nothing is comparable to Little Women). This novel was the perfect mixture of fantasy, romance, and history. It was something about Schwab’s writing style that made the book seem mystical. There was never a point where I was bored during this story, and I was sad when I finished reading. In fact, I loved this book so much that when I was reading it, I would force myself to stop after a few chapters just so that I could prolong my time spent reading it.