Freshman year vs. senior year

It is easy to distinguish what freshman would bring to school versus what seniors bring to school based off of these photos. While freshman are over-prepared for school, seniors are definitely not prepared at all.

pixabay

Cristina Himelhoch, Staff Writer

High school seems to be almost like a food chain with the seniors at the top and the freshmen at the bottom. This gap causes for huge differences in the experiences students have as a freshman and as a senior. Freshman year is full of being scared of seniors, getting lost in the hallways, adapting to changes, and learning new things. Senior year, on the other hand, is full of being annoyed by the plethora of freshmen, not wanting to do school work or even show up to school, and waiting to go to the wonderful world of college.

The first major difference between freshman and senior year is simply waking up in the morning. Freshman year is all about waking up early and putting in a lot of effort into how you look, while senior year is about waiting until the last second to get out of bed and not caring what you look like because you have finally realized that it doesn’t matter what people think of you. Waking up for school is a true struggle for most students since it is so early in the morning. Most students would rather be sleeping than attending a first period AP Calc BC class. Once school starts and teachers start handing out syllabi, freshmen rush to Office Depot to buy everything exactly the way the teacher wants it. They normally end up with a plethora of binders, notebooks, and paper that they can barely shove into their already giant backpacks. Although seniors get the same syllabi as freshman, they don’t actually get their school supplies until the week after school starts and don’t even attempt to get everything the teacher asked for. “Freshman year I had a binder for every class, while now as a senior I only have one binder for all of my classes,” said senior Ali-Mae Gleason. As exemplified by Ali-Mae, most seniors might end up with one binder, one notebook, and some paper with the most important supply being their phone chargers.

Another major difference is the way that students walk through the halls and how timely they are when it comes to attending classes and arriving to school. Freshman year is very nerve racking because of how large East Lake High School is and how easy it is to get lost. Therefore, students like to get to school early and walk quickly (maybe even run) through the halls to get to classes early and on time. But, for seniors, it is almost the complete opposite. Seniors usually get to school as late as possible so that they just walk into school and go straight to class. Getting to class on time becomes a struggle because as a senior, students know their way around the school and take their time at their lockers and socializing with friends. It’s not until the warning bell rings that most seniors actually start heading to class. As the year progresses, it also becomes more and more common for seniors to skip either first or seventh period because either they woke up late or they want to get out of school as soon as possible. Leaving school is a whole different struggle in itself. As a freshman, students don’t have to deal with the drama of the infamous student parking lot since they have to take the bus (which isn’t fun either). At least for seniors there is the perk of having a senior parking spot that helps to get out of school more quickly and avoid the long lines of the junior and occasional sophomore parking lot that takes more than five minutes to even walk to. But, being able to drive gives seniors a freedom that freshmen only dream to have.

After school activities also can be very different between freshmen and seniors mainly due to the fact that freshmen do not have the ability to drive yet. The one thing that does stay the same are the after school naps that every student looks forward to. One of the main differences are how many clubs and honor societies students get involved in. Freshmen usually don’t join clubs or honor societies during their first year of high school because of the amount of work they are already attempting to adjust to and the time management skills that they are just starting to learn. By the time senior year rolls around students are involved in Blue Crue, the National Honor Society, Rho Kappa, English National Honor Society, and plenty more clubs. Blue Crue plays a huge role in after school activities for most students. Friday nights are usually busy with attending football games, tailgating, and cheering on the team. But, there are strict unsaid rules when it comes to Blue Crue. Seniors stand in the very front and cheer the loudest, while freshman stand in the very back, don’t know any of the cheers, and are too scared to yell out the words. Blue Crue is the perfect visual stereotype of how high school functions.

All of the major differences between freshman year and senior year are what makes high school such a memorable portion of life. As seniors, students look back and laugh at all of the stupid things they did as freshmen while the incoming freshmen look up and aspire to be like the seniors. Senior Briana Dentry admits that she made a lot of mistakes when looking back on her freshman year and offers the advice, “Only by stepping out of your freshman comfort zone, will you open up an infinite amount of possibilities that may impact your future.”