Spice up your life

The various health benefits of the turmeric spice

Photo provided by www.pbs.org/

Megan Raynor, Staff Writer

For thousands of years the turmeric spice has been incorporated into meals and used for its medicinal benefits. Turmeric spice is derived from the root-like stem of the plant curcuma longa, which is native to India and is now grown throughout tropical Asia. Turmeric is used in a wide variety of dishes and is the main spice used to season curry. While the spice is great to cook with because it gives meals a delicious kick, it has recently been publicly recognized for its wide array of surprising health benefits and healing powers.

The recent popularity of turmeric is largely because of its anti-inflammatory properties. One of the compounds found in the spice is curcumin, which is world-renowned for its powerful abilities to reduce inflammation. According to www.draxe.com/, “The journal Oncogene published the results of a study that evaluated several anti-inflammatory compounds and found that aspirin and ibuprofen are least effective, while curcumin, is among the most effective anti-inflammatory compounds in the world.” The significance of this property is that chronic inflammations leads to a variety of common diseases, such as heart disease, cancer, metabolic syndrome, Alzheimer’s and various degenerative conditions. The incorporation of turmeric spice into an individual’s daily routine can help prevent all these diseases without the numerous side-effects associated with taking artificial medicines.

Incorporating turmeric into your lifestyle is super simple. It can be used to season vegetables and proteins, taken in tablet form, and even incorporated into drinks that are nicknamed “golden milk lattes.” Turmeric is also easily accessible; it can be found in spice, tablet, and root form at most grocery and health food stores. However, it is recommended that turmeric is combined with black pepper in order to reap its full benefits. According to a study, published in Planta Medica, “Taking turmeric in combination with black pepper, which contains piperine, improves turmeric absorbability throughout the entire body. By adding 20mg of piperine to 2000mg Turmeric, the bioavailability of turmeric increased by 154 percent.”

Ultimately, there is nothing to lose by incorporating the turmeric spice into your diet. Due to the fact that the spice is derived by a natural plant, it provides multiple health benefits naturally without common side-effects that are caused by our bodies reacting to artificial ingredients found in medications.

• Spice up your life

• Spice up your life

• Spice up your life

• Spice up your life

• Spice up your life

• Spice up your life

• Spice up your life

• Spice up your life

• Spice up your life

• Spice up your life

Spice up your life