Beat the heat

Never be bored over summer again!

Can you ever have too much Netflix?? If that’s even possible, don’t worry- there’s plenty to do after the last season ends.

Photo provided by theodysseyonline.com

Photo provided by theodysseyonline.com

Madi Sonnenberg, Web Editor

With the school year coming close to being finished, everybody’s looking forward to summer break. Visions of the beach, the pool, and tans fill the minds of students and will only intensify after AP exams are over in early May. Summer gets so hyped up that after the first week off it may not seem all that it’s been cracked up to be. Sure it’s awesome to be able to sleep in, not worry about school work, and catch up on all your Netflix shows, but an antsy feeling may start to sink in, prompting you to actually do something. Here’s a list of some things you can do instead of sitting around contemplating whether or not to watch just one… more… episode…

1. Try something new: Okay, it’s a little cliché, but summer really is the perfect time to try doing something you’ve always wanted to do but never had the time for during the school year! Always wanted to learn how to play guitar? Now’s your chance. How about kayaking or sailing? Go for it. Junior Mei-Lee Kwok said that she got to experience a different culture for the first time during the summer by traveling to South America. Summer presents the perfect opportunity to go out there and discover new interests and experience new things with your additional free time.
  2. Check out local festivals: Local downtown areas almost always have something going on. From music festivals to food vendors, it’s hard to not find something you like while strolling the cute streets of places like downtown Safety Harbor or downtown Dunedin. Check online for more information on fun summer events like Market on Main in Safety Harbor or the Sunset Music Series in Dunedin.
  3. Whip out your old friend, Pinterest: If you’re feeling artsy or feel a sudden urge to get crafty in the kitchen, spend some time browsing Pinterest and choose from an overwhelming selection of DIYs and recipes to try out. With more free time comes more time to bake cake pops and make refreshing lemonades, or you may want to take to the fire pit and make the best s’more ever. Whatever you’re in the mood for, Pinterest is guaranteed to please.
  4. Grab some friends and go to a theme park: Or a waterpark, if you want to be able to cool off after standing in those ridiculously long lines. It’s so convenient to have so many amusement parks practically in our own backyards, so take advantage of it! Disney, Universal, Busch Gardens, Aquatica, and Adventure Island are just a few options that are all less than two hours away. As if there weren’t enough parks to choose from, Universal is even opening up a new water theme park called Volcano Bay early this summer. Find people with annual passes and make a day out of it.
  5. Get ahead: I know that you probably don’t want to even think about school or work until the fall, but summer is as good a time as any to find little ways to get ahead so you’ll be ready for the coming year. Maybe that means cracking out the dreaded SAT or ACT study books or seeking out an internship or your first job. For the incoming seniors, starting college applications is a biggie, and it’s never too early to start applying for scholarships. Being productive now can make life a whole lot less stressful come fall!

Although summer is the time for sleeping in and recovering from the stress of the past school year, there comes a time when boredom may creep in a crash the party. If this is the case, don’t forget that there are plenty of things to do to keep busy and have fun over summer break!

• Beat the heat

• Beat the heat

• Beat the heat

• Beat the heat

• Beat the heat

• Beat the heat

• Beat the heat

• Beat the heat

• Beat the heat

Good morning, Feast Lake

• Beat the heat

Opinions

Philosophical web story by Michael Del Duca

Beat the heat