Fidget spinner frenzy

The trend that swept the nation

Fidget spinner frenzy

Photo provided by thetimes.co.uk

Photo provided by thetimes.co.uk

Photo provided by thetimes.co.uk

Cole Mansfield, Staff Writer

Over the past few months a toy craze has taken the nation by storm. Fidget spinners can be seen in the hands of kids everywhere and on the shelves of every store.

Fidget spinners have become a popular trend across the world with every store having a box of them by the checkout and even their own fidget spinner kiosks popping up at local malls. The toy’s original purpose was to help people who had trouble focusing by relieving energy and stress. The simple ball bearing toy does only as the name says, it spins. Yeah, this simple design has entrapped millions and encouraged them to buy a spinner of their own. “They’re dope; I love how unique they are.  Some are metal, some light up, and they all spin,” says Jackson Rowland, a high school senior who has bought four fidget spinners. There are many different types of fidget spinners; most are made of metal or plastic, but people have also gotten creative in making their own spinners with materials such as Play-Doh, paper, and even ice (though these ones didn’t last long). They also can be made in many different shapes and sizes.  Some have three sides, some only have two sides, and I’ve even seen one in the shape of the Batman symbol. Creativity is what has really driven fidget spinners to worldwide popularity. People have thought of many different experiments and tricks to do with these simple toys. Popular Youtube channel Dude Perfect even made a whole video of fidget spinner trick shots with shots such as throwing it up to another person on the second floor and catching it, and using a blow dart to stick the spinner into the wall out of the air. Youtube has played a big part in the fidget spinners’ rise to fame. Countless viral videos have come out as every popular Youtuber wanted to hop on the trend. Whether they were praising the spinners or making a parody of people’s obsession with them, all the videos helped boost the fame of the toy.

Fidget spinners have made their claim to fame but with interest already diminishing, it will be interesting to see if the spinners are here to stay, or just another fleeting trend.