A change at Sephora

God+said+%E2%80%9Clet+there+be+light%E2%80%9D%2C+and+Sephora+answered.+
God said “let there be light”, and Sephora answered.

Jacklyn Duffek, Editor-in-Chief

If you spend much more money than you make on blushes that all look the same and overpriced mascaras like I do, you might have noticed a major change at Sephora. Besides their signature Sephora collection, the makeup store also sells Tarte, Too Faced and Marc Jacobs, but since the online trend to sell makeup through personal websites has dominated the industry since 2014, Sephora has doubled their store capacity and added tons of new brands to draw in costumers.

By now everyone has heard of the famous Beauty Blender sponge that revolutionized the beauty industry back in 2016, its creator Rea Ann Silva banking $130 million and selling over 6.5 million sponges. Sponges!  Since her small cash register slot placement advanced to a half kiosk in Sephora, prices have risen from $14 to $20 and she has released a new line of mini sponges.

Sephora has also allowed other brands to partner and collaborate with the famous online MUAs (Make-Up Artists) such as Jeffree Star and MannyMUA. Jeffree Star invented the greatest invention in my personal world of lipsticks-the velour liquid lip. Those matte lip glosses that harden into a crazy colored lipstick began from JS Cosmetics two years ago. After receiving 25 million MySpace views years ago and touring the world with a music career, the “Mr. Diva” of the beauty industry has over 5.2 million YouTube subscribers, makes $1.2 million a year solely on posting YouTube videos, is worth $64 million and makes an annual revenue near $6.2 million. Star’s best friend happens to be Manny Gutierrez, MannyMUA, and both have partnered with Benefit Cosmetics in their fall collection launch of bronzers.

Lastly, Sephora is currently in the process of trying to bring in a higher percentage of male clientele by introducing Dr. Jart and Glam & Glow. Both are luxury skin care brands known for rejuvenating the skin and creating dewy, eliminated texture. This is mainly for guys who want the Sephora experience, but aren’t there for a full face of Urban Decay. It makes men willing to buy, but not appear to be wearing makeup.

There are lots of changes coming to Sephora in order to compete with the rise of online indie makeup brands, especially Epsy and Morphe. With technology altering the way we shop, will it also alter the way we apply makeup?

• A change at Sephora

• A change at Sephora

• A change at Sephora

• A change at Sephora

• A change at Sephora

• A change at Sephora

• A change at Sephora

• A change at Sephora

• A change at Sephora

• A change at Sephora

A change at Sephora