Vegan adventure

The vegan tacos were a pretty close approximation of the real thing.

Nikolas Holdsworth, Staff Writer

I am a carnivore; if I don’t eat meat at least once a day I don’t feel like myself. That being said I have been perplexed by the idea of vegan food, especially vegan meat. I know that vegan food has become very innovative in the past couple years just from the sheer popularity that the diet has gained worldwide. This curiosity of trying vegan food led me to my vegan friend who claimed to make some pretty great vegan tacos.

The journey started at Whole Foods, a place I have dreaded ever walking in to, and it was everything I thought it would be, a strange assortment of vegan products that I had no idea existed. We got vegan taco meat, Daiya vegan cheese, and some lettuce. When we were checking out, the cashier fit the vegan stereotype perfectly, with neon gauges, a beanie, and a very deep v cut shirt. Of course he also announced his proud veganism and gave an entire five minute tutorial about how to make his “fabulous” vegan teriyaki sauce even though we bought no products even close to teriyaki.

After the predictable Whole Foods experience, it was time to start cooking. I opened the bag of vegan taco meat and I didn’t have to go very close to the bag to catch the aroma of rubber and a large amount of spices. Basically the meat was made up of plants that impressively resembled ground beef. There was a very similar color and a close enough texture. On top of the meat was just an absurd amount of spices and seasoning, so even if it was real meat you wouldn’t taste the meaty flavor.

Finally I got to taste the vegan concoction.  Honestly, it wasn’t bad after we cooked the meat; all the seasoning and spices dialed down and it tasted similar to your average taco meat, not a huge fan of the cheese but it did have a nice gooey texture. If it was made for me I’d eat it again, and I’d be willing to try more vegan delicacies. I was very impressed with the vegan tacos though I had very low expectations and they definitely exceeded my expectations. I’m happy I got to find out what vegan food is all about and I think it’s good that vegans can have a large majority of food that taste very similar to the real thing.

• Vegan adventure

• Vegan adventure

• Vegan adventure

• Vegan adventure

• Vegan adventure

• Vegan adventure

• Vegan adventure

• Vegan adventure

• Vegan adventure

• Vegan adventure

Vegan adventure