Thanksgiving… Chicago style

An account of our family vacation over Thanksgiving Break

Even though it didn’t snow, some photogenic frost appeared on the windshield of our car.

Photo provided by Madi Sonnenberg

Madi Sonnenberg, Web Editor

This past Friday my family and I blew back in from the Windy City of Chicago where we spent five days with my aunt and three little cousins for Thanksgiving Break. More specifically, we spent our time in the little town of Arlington Heights just to the northwest of the city. Over the course of five days we had a ton of fun celebrating old traditions and experiencing new ones! Here are some of the highlights from the trip.

One of the best parts of getting away for Thanksgiving was going somewhere where it actually felt like Thanksgiving… on Wednesday the high was a brisk 33 degrees, perfect weather for getting in the holiday spirit! Although it did not snow while we were there, the amazing weather that barely reached above 40 throughout the entirety of the trip was enough to keep me happy. Nothing’s better than bundling up under four blankets at night and wearing fuzzy socks 24/7.

The day before Thanksgiving we decided to trek to the city to visit the Shedd Aquarium, a well-known aquarium right on Lake Michigan in Chicago, in order to do a little walking to prepare our bodies for the feasting that was to come the next day. We saw an awesome dolphin show that was worth the two and a half hours we were stuck in traffic on the way there. The show also featured a sea lion and penguins that did tricks right in front of the audience! Back in the main building there were a bunch of really neat exhibits featuring tropical fish, seahorses, and everyone’s favorite, beluga whales. If you visit Chicago, the Shedd Aquarium is a must-see!

This was the first Thanksgiving we have celebrated with our family in Illinois, so we went all out on the food. Thanksgiving morning we took a trip down to the local donut shop, Spunky Dunkers, for a delicious, cream-filled breakfast! Later that day we did all the usual cooking and meal prep for the big dinner later that night. We had turkey, tons of sides, and of course, pumpkin pie. It was awesome spending so much time with family and being in the kitchen and around the table together.

We had such a great time in Chicago that we didn’t want to leave on Friday afternoon! Reality set in as we stepped off the plane and into the humid Florida air once again. Vacationing up north in the fall/wintertime was definitely worth it for the weather, sights, and family, and is something I’ll look forward to in years to come!

• Thanksgiving… Chicago style

• Thanksgiving… Chicago style

• Thanksgiving… Chicago style

• Thanksgiving… Chicago style

• Thanksgiving… Chicago style

• Thanksgiving… Chicago style

• Thanksgiving… Chicago style

• Thanksgiving… Chicago style

• Thanksgiving… Chicago style

• Thanksgiving… Chicago style

Thanksgiving… Chicago style