Spoiled puppy?

Emily Galka, Staff Writer

Stop! Before you give your dog that bone you need to know that unless it’s specifically for dogs, then it’s not good for them to have.  Instead of tossing that chicken bone or turkey bone to your dog, next time toss it in the trash and make sure it stays there.  With the holidays just around the corner, it’s a good time to keep this warning in mind, especially if you love to spoil your puppy for the holidays.  The FDA just declared that certain dog bones can potentially be deadly, so just stick to the Milk-bones, jerky treats, and other dog treats.

No matter how tempted you are by the puppy eyes your dog is giving you under the table, waiting for you to drop that bone, don’t do it.  After eating these bones it might seem okay at first until your dog starts to experience some of the terrible effects, such as vomiting, cuts and blockages in the digestive tract, and when you bring them to the vet’s office you get the bill, it’s definitely just not worth it.

Avoid all of the struggle for you and your dog and just avoid ham bones, rib bones, or bones from your kitchen tables.  Rawhide is one item you can give, but it’s better to break into smaller pieces just to be safe.   If you want to spoil your dog this year do it the right way; do it the safe way.  If you don’t have a good idea ask your veterinarian for some ideas.  Some good treats are Milk-bones, Beggin’ Strips, or any treat that is soft enough to leave a mark after you press your finger into it.  If you really want to be a little extra with your dogs’ treats, you can give them seedless watermelon, banana slices, air popped popcorn, or other fruits and vegetables.  Most of these items you can get at the grocery store, but for a wider variety of dog treats you can go to Petco, Pet Smart, or Pets-n-more.  The holidays make it easy to give into to the puppy eyes, so just make sure that it’s safe to eat.

• Spoiled puppy?

• Spoiled puppy?

• Spoiled puppy?

• Spoiled puppy?

• Spoiled puppy?

• Spoiled puppy?

• Spoiled puppy?

• Spoiled puppy?

• Spoiled puppy?

• Spoiled puppy?

Spoiled puppy?