Memes: a contemporary piece on postmodern humor in the era of despair, midterms week

Meme of the Month, but this time it’s stressful and obviously the best time to meme

Albert Turner, Staff Writer

A time where a man’s true colors shine brighter than the morning sun and by the end of the day are as dim as a nightlight with no batteries, midterms are quickly approaching and this means one thing, memes about said midterms, why midterms are going to kill your grade, or why you should have started preparing four weeks ago, but instead you are making memes and saying to yourself, “Man I hope someone likes this Instagram post unlike the last dozen.” Midterm memes are always a treat and unlike other memes come back year after year after year. If you read Stony Hooker’s article on the history of memes you would know that there are time periods of said memes and that Midterm memes were not mentioned. Why? You may ask, because Midterm memes do not die; they live on and have been alive since the very beginnings of memes. They have been made, reposted, re-reposted, and so-on and so-forth. This is why I would like to inform you on not only the greatest meme period you will experience this half of the year (August-December), but enlighten you on what you may see coming this year into midterms and after they have been completed.

There are good memes, there are bad memes, and there are meme that your mom sends you that not only have you seen before but they were not even funny the first time you saw them.  However, the greatest part about midterm memes is that as long as they are current, they are relevant, and one major part about the comedy of memes is the relevance.  Teachers give midterms not to asess what you have learned over the first half of the school year, but instead to gift you with high quality meme material, and this gift has been made into such wonderful memes.  Other times for memes come sporadically and unpredictably; much like a ten dollar bill on the ground, you find it you are happy and take it all. Memes about midterms, however, are more like a tax return, something that you wait all year for and when you get it you were not only prepared but are sometimes overly prepared for the joy and fun to come.  Much like the time of tax returns, this is a time of great happiness and memeary.

Ethically, however, this time has become a notorious time for teachers trying to maintain confidentiality. Most of them are pretty cool with memes about the time, but not about actual test questions that some may have found particular jokeable. Last year a student attending the University of California Los Angeles got his college midterm invalidated due to him “exposing test answers before the exams concluded” by posting memes about the exam he took on Twitter, potentially giving other students who have not taken the exam an advantage over others. This is a cautionary tale for the coming meme season, ask what is and isn’t acceptable, or simply don’t joke about specifics, or just do so after the season. Be safe, study hard and meme harder.

• Memes: a contemporary piece on postmodern humor in the era of despair, midterms week