Defeating senioritis

Senior year is almost over, so don’t give up yet!

Senioritis is a dangerous affliction.

Senioritis is a dangerous affliction.

Luke Weaver, Staff Writer

It’s senior year, you’ve already applied to all the colleges you think you might attend, and you think you’re done. Enter senioritis, a terrible disease that makes a senior high school student want to slack off and abandon their studies. As an underclassman, you saw the seniors laughing their way through their last year of high school. Senior year seemed all fun and games until you look at Focus and you have a heart attack because your grades have all dropped to C’s and D’s. The most terrifying thing in the world is realizing you might not get into your favorite university because you played around all senior year. To defeat senioritis, you must remember a few simple tips. First, remember that you many universities include a clause in their acceptance letters that they can reject you later if your grades drop. Also, think about your parents. They have likely put a lot of effort towards you and have encouraged you constantly to keep your grades up. Think about how they would feel if your dreams of attending a good college were crushed because you slacked off. Lastly, remember that it’s almost over. By the time senioritis sets in, you’re probably almost finished with your senior year.

Universities can make use of many tricks and small print to make sure they only accept the best candidates for their school, and you want to be one of those. Keeping this in mind as you continue your senior year can be the difference between succeeding in attending the college of your choice and letting yourself fall off the train. Even if your GPA and test scores are well above the requirements, if a school notices that your grades have dropped considerably, even if they are still above the requirements, they can reject your application because your grades dropping proves to them that you are slacking off.

Second, remember that your parents are looking forward to your being accepted to college as much as you are. You obviously don’t want to disappoint them, so this is another reason to push through your senior year and finish strong. You’ve already completed over three years of high school, so how hard can it be to do just three more months? For 18 years, my parents have pushed me to do my best, and I couldn’t imagine how I would feel if I let them down in the final stretch. Even if you don’t really care about what college you attend, or if you don’t care about college at all, keep pushing for your parents’ sake.

Lastly, keep in mind that you’re almost there anyhow. There are only a few months left, and they will go by very quickly. Don’t give up yet! Acceptance letters have been sent out, and you most likely know where you want to go by now. All you have to do is maintain your grades. No matter how hard it may seem, you have to keep pushing. Even though you can have plenty of fun while slacking off in these last few months, it’s not worth it. Just keep working hard.

Senior year is almost over, and we are about to enter a whole new chapter of our lives. I’ve never heard someone say they hated college. Everyone says they either liked or loved their time in college, taking classes that actually interest them and that they are sure will apply to their profession of choice. So, just keep pushing, seniors! The school year is almost over!

• Defeating senioritis

• Defeating senioritis

• Defeating senioritis

• Defeating senioritis

• Defeating senioritis

• Defeating senioritis

• Defeating senioritis

• Defeating senioritis

• Defeating senioritis

• Defeating senioritis

Defeating senioritis