Valentine’s Day around the world

Love isn’t only in the air in The USA

A Curve-ball for Flat Earthers

A Curve-ball for Flat Earthers

A Curve-ball for Flat Earthers

Albert Turner, Staff Writer

Love is everywhere; people across the globe recognize that February 14th is Valentine’s Day, a day of joy from corner to corner.  However, it isn’t the same as you may think in other countries. Some people find the day to be just another random holiday, comparable to Presidents Day in America. (No offense to Presidents Day lovers) So in this article you can plan to find a lot about the strange and fascinating ways people around the globe celebrate.

-Denmark: Although Valentine’s Day is a relatively new holiday in Denmark (only being celebrated and declared a holiday since 1990), the country has embraced February 14th with a Danish twist. Rather than roses, friends and sweethearts exchange pressed white flowers called snowdrops. They look like white daisies with a blackened core. Men also give women gaekkebrev, a “joking letter” consisting of a funny poem or rhyme written on intricately cut paper and signed only with anonymous dots. If a woman who receives the gaekkebrev can correctly guess the sender, she earns herself an Easter egg later that year; strange reward.

-South Korea: Valentine’s Day is a popular holiday for young couples in South Korea, and variations of the holiday are celebrated monthly from February through April. The

gift-giving starts on February 14th when it’s up to women to woo their men with chocolates, candies and flowers. The tables turn on March 14th, a holiday known as White Day, when men not only shower their sweethearts with chocolates and flowers, but up the ante with a gift. They also have another day for the loveless: Black Day. On April 14th, it’s customary for singles to mourn their solitary status by eating dark bowls of jajangmyeon, or black bean-paste noodles.

– England: On the eve on Valentine’s Day, women in England used to place five bay leaves on their pillows one at each corner and one in the center to bring dreams of their future husbands. Alternatively, they would wet bay leaves with rosewater and place them across their pillows.

– Germany: The celebration for Valentine’s Day in Germany is popular among the locals, but is not especially commercial as in other parts of the world. Lovers will exchange not only

chocolates, flowers, and heart shaped gifts, but a special something else for this celebration: a pig! The pig represents luck and lust and can be given in picture form, as a miniature statue, in chocolate or however one sees fit.

So it is true and plainly so, love isn’t only in the air here but all around the globe. People may have “different” ways of showing their love but it is love through and through. Maybe this year you can try one of these foreign techniques on your love, because as my idol and dream Valentine DJ Khaled says, “If it ain’t foreign, it’s boring.” If you can’t do any of those, you can also just indulge on some of those black noodles.

• Valentine’s Day around the world

• Valentine’s Day around the world

• Valentine’s Day around the world

• Valentine’s Day around the world

• Valentine’s Day around the world

• Valentine’s Day around the world

• Valentine’s Day around the world

• Valentine’s Day around the world

• Valentine’s Day around the world

• Valentine’s Day around the world

Valentine’s Day around the world