How to get a D1 scholarship without really trying Part 3

Stony Hooker, Features Editor

When National Signing Day became closer, Hart informed his coach that he would be excepting his offer from the University of California. Excited for his player, the coach emailed Cal to thank them for the offer. It was at this point that the coach received an email from a confused University of California football director who had never offered Hart a scholarship and assumed that he would be going to Oregon. When confronted about the incident by his coach, Hart quickly came up with another lie saying, “Schools aren’t allowed to comment on recruits, which is why they denied acknowledging the scholarship.” Remarkably, the coach believed this.

A few days later, Hart “accepts” his offer from Cal in a packed press conference. Later that day, UC called the high schools coaching staff to let them know again that there was no offer sent to Hart. When asked about it, Hart lied again, claiming that he had been duped by a hired promoter and agent who had stolen his money. He claimed that the promotor’s name was Kevin Riley (the name of the quarterback for Cal at that time).

When Hart finally admitted that the last 10 months of his life were a lie, he became severely depressed. In the remaining football games of his high school season, opposing fans wore shirts that said, “I’m going to Cal!” He was bullied, ridiculed, and berated by the people of his town for lying to them.

Hart began to receive lots of mail. For the most part, it was hate mail; however, some of the letters were word of encouragement. These encouraging letters for the most part said that he had messed up bad but could and should still follow his dream of playing football.

Hart began to look at offers from junior colleges, and eventually accepted a scholarship to Feather River College. After four years at Feather River, Hart received an offer from Missouri Western University, a D2 school and very different from the University of California. Hart was given a chance to play college football and was grateful for it. MWU announced Hart’s offer on Feb 1, 2012, exactly four years after his infamous press conference.