Mazda is doing cool things

Seriously!

The Mazda Vision Coupe.

The Mazda Vision Coupe.

Photo provided by Mazda.com

Photo provided by Mazda.com

The Mazda Vision Coupe.

Troy Dyer, Staff Writer

Mazda is planning some cool things for these upcoming years. Lately, in fact, they’ve been doing cool things too. Mazda is putting manual transmissions and turbos in their four-door sedans, and their styling has been beautiful across their model range. I hate to admit it, but their SUV looks pretty good right now, too.  But that’s not the big point of this article really. Mazda has come out with a new engine and two new concept cars that look absolutely drop dead gorgeous. The first concept is called the Mazda Vision Coupe, one of the best-looking concepts I’ve seen in a long time, or ever. This car has a long hood, big rear hips, curves along its whole body, and leading lines that don’t stop. The interior is minimalistic, no jarring large screens, just pure driving in mind. To top it all off, they are teasing a new rotary engine to pair it with. If this is true, Mazda will bring back one of its main icons with this car, like the RX series. The next car is dear to me, however, as it is a new hatchback. This is called the Mazda Kai. I love this car and I hope they make it. It is absolutely stunning; it has a long hood with a wide rear end with hips falling wide over the rear arches hugging the rear wheels. This thing is aggressive and elegant. With the driver in mind again, it has a minimalistic interior with no overbearing tech inside to distract you. Finally, is their new engine called the Skyactive-X. This is a high compression engine aimed to minimalize the use of the spark plugs, and instead use them to ignite the fuel to combust in an extremely pressurized environment, which uses extremely lean gas to achieve diesel like efficiency, a combined 40 mpg rating, and enough power to enjoy the car with. Mazda is going great lengths to preserve the gas burning engine to keep that pure driving pleasure combined with immaculate styling and technology. Mazda is doing things right.

Photo provided by Mazda.com
The Mazda Kai.

• Mazda is doing cool things

• Mazda is doing cool things

• Mazda is doing cool things

• Mazda is doing cool things

• Mazda is doing cool things

• Mazda is doing cool things

• Mazda is doing cool things

• Mazda is doing cool things

• Mazda is doing cool things

• Mazda is doing cool things

Mazda is doing cool things