East Lake hot spots

East Lake hot spots

One of East Lake's biggest landmarks.

One of East Lake's biggest landmarks.

One of East Lake's biggest landmarks.

One of East Lake's biggest landmarks.

Cole Mansfield, Staff Writer

The community of East Lake, in which we call our high school home, has many great restaurants, stores, and hang out spots, but two places stand out above all others, the Lansbrook Commons and Varsity Club.

Basketball courts, soccer fields, volleyball nets, and the playground, all part of the holy land known as the Lansbrook Commons. These hallowed grounds in the center of the Lansbrook community have a rich history and are loved by residents and non-residents alike. Many people think that the first Olympics was held in Greece, but few people know that before Athens, the world’s best athletes gathered right here in East Lake at the Commons for the first ever Olympics. It has always been voted best national park ten years in a row by USA Today and Forbes. The soccer fields house countless World Cup games, touch football, and of course the big Sunday scrimmages. Then of course there are the basketball courts, two courts and ten hoops of pure joy. Anytime you go to the Commons you’ll see people playing 3 on 3, 21, or, if it’s Wednesday, big games of 5 n 5. However, the real shining stars of the courts are the mini hoops. Everyone has their mini hoops squad to take on others for ultimate bragging rights. A game of mini hoops is the best way to settle any argument and have a lot of fun while doing it. I still feel the exhilaration every time I pull into the Commons and the agony when I can’t like the tragedy of spring break 2014 when the fields were closed for reseeding.

After a long day at the Commons when you’re tired and hungry there’s only one place in your mind: Varsity Club. The ambience, the food, the arcade games, everything about this historic restaurant is perfect. Whether you’re coming to watch a game, after an East Lake football game, or just for some lunch, this divine restaurant is perfect for any occasion. In fact, legend has it that the famous Last Supper of Jesus and his Apostles was held right here in East Lake at Varsity Club. The menu packs some heavy hitters with all the burgers named after baseball teams, the Varsity Club dip, the meatball hoagie, and of course the infamous boneless wings with a side of the sacred sauce known as Varsity Club ranch. Whether you walk out with a great new hat from the balloon artist, a sore throat from singing your heart out on karaoke night, or just a full stomach, Varsity Club will always leave you wanting to come back for more.

These two sites are loved and adored by all East Lake residents. “These two historic landmarks are so moving it almost brings a tear to your eyes solely because of the rich history behind it filled with substance. Few have lived through the memories of biking from the Commons to 7-11 then going to V-Club. That’s why when foreigners travel to Florida they absorb the various moments of these two places as if they’ve lived it. These two religious memorials once housed infamous D-1 athletes from the 727 and no other monument could compare to these two,” passionately exclaims East Lake resident Jeremy Pe. These two places are really what make East Lake great and any senior leaving for college should take advantage of them while they still can.