How to make your summer fun while keeping your bank account full

Three day cruises can fit a budget.

Three day cruises can fit a budget.

Three day cruises can fit a budget.

Isabel Platis, News Editor

Going on a trip with your friends after you graduate sounds fun and all until you realize that your minimum wage job won’t cut it for that Royal Caribbean cruise. For all the seniors that are currently in this position, I have hope for you. I came up with a list of cheap vacation ideas that you and your friends can do ranging from day trips to a few overnight ones if you’re willing to spending a little more money.

Starting with day trips, a two and a half hour drive to the East Coast isn’t too bad for one day. Cocoa Beach is a straight shot going east from Tampa and the closest East Coast beach from where we are. You and your friends can wake up early in the morning, drive over there and spend the whole day relaxing in the sun or you can rent a surfboard and catch some waves if you’re looking for an adventure. Another beach that is a little quieter than Cocoa and perfect for a day trip is Sanibel Island. Sanibel Island is a three hour drive south and you don’t have to drive through Orlando traffic to get there. As with any of the day trips I’m mentioning, you can always stay the night at a hotel if you’re willing to spend some money and have two full days at your destination. If you’re trying to fight the Florida heat but you don’t want to go to the crowded beach, Rainbow River is the perfect place for you and your friends. The water is a refreshing 72 degrees year round and feels amazing when you’re relaxing in a tube for hours. Lastly, over the summer I went camping at Ginnie Springs with a friend and had an amazing time. Ginnie Springs is located on the Santa Fe River and takes about three hours to get there. You get the camping experience for a relatively cheap price, depending on how you’re camping (tents, campers and RV prices vary), while also being able to relax on the river and go swimming and snorkeling in natural spring caves all day. I had such a fun time with my friend and I’m sure it would be even better with a bigger group of people. If you’ve been trying to saving up for your dream 7-day Royal Caribbean cruise but still can’t afford it, Carnival has got you covered with some cheap 3-day cruises to the Bahamas. Although this might not be your dream cruise, it’s better than nothing and you will still have an amazing time with your friends without being too broke afterwards.

It might seem like cruises or beach vacations are the only fun things to do with your friends, but that is false. Road trips are a great idea as well. If you go somewhere out of the state, splitting gas money between you are your friends will be cheaper than buying plane tickets. You could even take a road trip and spend the weekend at your future college to get to know the campus with your friends. Lastly, if you’re trying to go somewhere that does require a plane ride and you want to be able to afford it, be flexible with times. Usually, flights that are early in the morning or late at night tend to be cheaper because not as many people want to fly at that time of the day. Also, check the prices of flights at nearby airports because they might be cheaper than the ones at the airport you always go to. For fun weekend getaways with your friends, New York City is a great option and you can easily experience it in three days. If you don’t want to go so far north, try experiencing a city down south that you’ve never been to like Charleston, South Carolina or Savannah, Georgia. Those are just two examples but there are plenty of other amazing cities you can visit and explore with your friends. Who knows? Maybe you’ll fall in love with a new city and end up living there one day like our very own teacher Mrs. Barbieri did.

• Senior trip ideas on a budget

• Senior trip ideas on a budget

• Senior trip ideas on a budget

• Senior trip ideas on a budget

• Senior trip ideas on a budget

• Senior trip ideas on a budget

• Senior trip ideas on a budget

• Senior trip ideas on a budget

• Senior trip ideas on a budget

• Senior trip ideas on a budget