Sensational summer treats

The school year winds down, but the baking never does.

This ultimate spread didn’t turn out very summer-y but it was delicious nonetheless.

Madi Sonnenberg

Madi Sonnenberg and Victoria Valby, Web Editor and Staff Writer

Summer is right around the corner and this new season gives your favorite Talon bakers another chance to showcase their unmatched skill in the kitchen. By far the largest undertaking yet, we present to you three new tried-and-true recipes that go down as some of the best in Talon baking history. Bake your cares and stress away with AP exams looming by whipping up one of these crowd-pleasing tasty treats and count down the days until summer!

1. Homemade Chocolate Brownies

Yes, you read that correctly: homemade chocolate brownies! You will be saying goodbye to the boxed mix for good after trying these delicious morsels. Attempting a homemade recipe was a little daunting, but, being the risk takers we are, we decided to live life on the edge and go for the gusto since this would be our last Talon baking segment ever! Still feeling the sting of the wound that the Easter cake inflicted upon us last issue, we knew we needed redemption. We ventured out to the Ridgemoor Publix, fearing for our lives since Water Wars was in full swing, and picked up all the necessary ingredients. Then the challenge began. We carefully mixed together a cup of sugar, half a cup of flour, a third cup of cocoa powder, a quarter teaspoon of salt, but alas! No Talon baking day is complete without utter disappointment in our lack of planning. There was not a quarter teaspoon of baking powder to be found! (You seasoned bakers will know that baking powder is the crucial ingredient for making baked goods rise so they’re nice and fluffy). Not wanting to brave Publix again, we scoured the internet for baking powder replacements and came across the foolproof lemon and baking soda combo. Conveniently ignoring the baking soda part since we didn’t have any of that either, we squirted in a splash of lemon juice and hoped for the best. After adding two eggs, a half cup of oil, and a teaspoon of vanilla, we threw the pan in the oven and prayed that our brownies wouldn’t taste like dish soap. 20-25 minutes later, we pulled the brownies out of the oven and were astonished to discover that we were the BEST brownies we had tasted in our entire lives! I think we had stumbled upon the greatest brownie secret ingredient known to mankind: lemon juice. Although it appeared as if the brownies were run over by a bus because of their flatness, the taste was simply too good to judge the book by its cover. We highly recommend this version of the recipe for your summer indulging!

1. Brownie Puppy Chow

As you should know by now, puppy chow is a staple in the Talon kitchen. Since we had more brownie than we knew what to do with, we decided to make brownie puppy chow, perfect for the dog days of summer. Start with your traditional puppy chow blend of Chex cereal, 1:2 ratio of melted butter to peanut butter (add as much or as little as you’d like depending on your peanut butter addiction), and powdered sugar coating. Then add some brownie pieces and chocolate chips for a peanut butter/chocolate lovers dream!

1. Watermelon Double Doozies

Imagine two warm, triple chocolate chip cookies filled with frosting, and not just any frosting… but Publix’s buttercream frosting! Yes, this is not just a dream. The double doozie is one of the greatest inventions of the baking world and they are deliciously easy! Homemade cookies and can be a pain so don’t trouble yourself. Just buy a package of Toll House triple chocolate chip cookie dough already separated into individual cookies and pop them in the oven. While those are baking for about twelve minutes, pull out the container of Publix frosting and separate into two bowls. Pour about three drops of red food coloring into one and three drops of green food coloring into the other. Mix and set aside (after licking the spoon of course.) Grab your red and green sprinkles and two plates- spreading out the sprinkles separately on each plate. By now, your kitchen probably smells like heaven and it’s time to remove the cookies. Allow them to cool for approximately 6-8 minutes, but it is understandably hard to resist a warm, gooey cookie so feel free to test one… or two. We certainly did! In fact, we wanted to get our hands on those cookies and didn’t even give them more than two minutes to cool. A few did break in half, but we took care of those. With your remaining cookies, grab two and place a dollop of red or green frosting in the middle, spreading out to the edges. Then roll the cookies in the opposite color sprinkles as the frosting and voila! A watermelon! I have no complaints with this delectable treat. Absolutely delicious and unlike our other two recipes, actually resembles summer somewhat!

Regardless of what season it is, baking is always relevant. These recipes are just a few examples of summer treats, but there is truly an abundance out there! We hope you embark on the double doozie journey or at least a puppy chow adventure, but whatever you do decide to make, just have fun with it! Forget the measuring cups and just eyeball it! We had a few curve balls thrown our way during our time in the kitchen, but these recipes still came out delicious, and now we really can’t wait until summer vacation!

• Sensational summer treats

• Sensational summer treats

• Sensational summer treats

• Sensational summer treats

• Sensational summer treats

• Sensational summer treats

• Sensational summer treats

• Sensational summer treats

• Sensational summer treats

• Sensational summer treats

Sensational summer treats