Australia? Oh, wait–Austria!

Australia? Oh, wait–Austria!

This small nation is one of beauty.

This small nation is one of beauty.

This small nation is one of beauty.

This small nation is one of beauty.

Emily Rollins, Staff Writer

Austria, a rather small country, the shape of a chicken wing, is located towards the southeast portion of Europe. This country is home to a large variety of cultures, which makes it so diverse and filled with different people, languages, habits, and styles.

The land was home to a large variety of people, such as Slavs, Germans, Huns, Franks, and Bohemians. It was populated as early as the Paleolithic times, and acted as a home to Celts, Romans, and members of the Holy Roman Empire, Habsburg Empire, and Austro Hungarian Empire. Threatened by the Ottomans and Prussians, Austria had always maintained a very strong sense of nationalism, however, the large variety of culture within the land caused a lot of political conflict. The country played major roles during World War I and II. This makes Austria a rather old country, dating back into Roman times, where people built castles in the alps and rode on horses like knights. The country, which became a federal republic in 1804, was home to farmers, kings, queens, and emperors.

When visiting the country now, one can find a large variety of Catholic churches, mostly with Gothic or Romanic styles, hills, mountains, Alps, lakes, farms, and old cities. There are museums, ruins, lakes, castles, and glaciers. There is a large variety of sites to visit such as the Vienna state opera, Mirabel palace, Zell am See, and Schonbrunn Palace. There are glaciers to visit such as the Großglockner, and cities such as Vienna, Innsbruck, and Salzburg, which is where the well-known Sound of Music was filmed. Today, the country is a member of the European union, and is ran by a president, Alexander Van der Bellen, who is a part of the “Green Party”.

People maintain the traditional folk culture in their lives too, by hosting October Fests, Maibaum Fests, Fasching, Candlemas, and Advent. Classic clothing also remains present, even today, as residents take out their Dirndl, Lederhosen, and Goiserer Boots for special occasions, celebrations, and holidays. Austrian cuisine also has a wide range of different influences from different cultures, as people enjoy cooking Wiener Schnitzel, Apple Strudel, Backhendl, Kaiserschmarn, or different types of goulash. If you’re looking for some beautiful scenery, history, and cultural experience, Austria is definitely a destination worth considering.

• Australia? Oh, wait–Austria!

• Australia? Oh, wait–Austria!

• Australia? Oh, wait–Austria!

• Australia? Oh, wait–Austria!

• Australia? Oh, wait–Austria!

• Australia? Oh, wait–Austria!

• Australia? Oh, wait–Austria!

• Australia? Oh, wait–Austria!

• Australia? Oh, wait–Austria!

• Australia? Oh, wait–Austria!

Australia? Oh, wait–Austria!