These popular schools aren’t as out of reach as you may think

Rice+University%27s+front+entrance+to+campus.+

Rice University's front entrance to campus.

Isabella Pawloski, Staff Writer

Rice University is the latest university to provide free tuition to middle class families. Following in the footsteps of many Ivy League schools, Rice has its financial aid offerings. Rice University is promising full scholarships to undergraduates whose families have incomes under $130,000. “Talent deserves opportunity,” Rice President David Leebron said while announcing the plan on September 18, 2018. The full scholarships are earmarked for students whose families have incomes between $65,000 and $130,000. Below that level, the university will not only cover tuition but also provide grants to cover students’ room and board, along with any other fees.

However, Rice University isn’t the only school to offer a unique financial aid opportunity; many other schools do this as well. Below are the top ten schools that give free tuition to low and middle class families.

Columbia University

Dartmouth College

Duke University

Yale University

1. Princeton University

Tuition: $46,144

Financial aid policy: Full-ride (including tuition plus room & board) for families making $54,000 a year or less. Free tuition for families making less than $120,000 a year.

One of the top-ranked college in terms of academics and outcomes, Princeton also offers a whole bunch of bang for the buck in terms of financial aid.

2. Brown University

Tuition: $53,904

Financial aid policy: Full-ride (free tuition, room & board) for families making less than $60,000 per year.

Providence, Rhode Island’s Brown University offers generous aid and a top-tier education.

1. Cornell University

Tuition: $52,853

Financial aid policy: Full-ride (free tuition, room & board) for families making less than $60,000.

The Ivy League college with the highest acceptance rate (just over 10%), Cornell University is also dedicated to making quality education affordable and accessible for all kinds of students. Their financial aid policy mirrors many other colleges in offering full-ride scholarships to students from middle and lower-middle income families.

4. Columbia University

Tuition: $55,581

New York City’s Columbia University offers world-class studies in the heart of the Big Apple–and an affordable price tag for many middle-class families.

1. Duke University

Tuition: $53,701

Duke is one of the country’s best research universities, known especially for their top-tier medical school.But, they also boast strong financial aid that makes becoming a Blue Devil within reach for many families who may be originally scared off by the price tag.

1. Harvard University

Tuition: $50,420

Financial aid policy: Full-ride (free tuition, room & board) for families making less than $65,000. For families earning between $65,000 and $150,000, the expected contribution is between zero and 10 percent of your annual income.

Needing no introduction, Harvard’s reputation for academic excellence and prestige is nearly unmatched. But, many people are unaware that they also offer incredibly generous financial aid for middle-class families.

7. Yale University

Tuition: $51,400

Financial aid policy: Full-ride (free tuition, room & board) for families making less than $65,000. Families earning between $65,000 and $200,000 contribute a percentage of their yearly income towards their child’s Yale education, on a sliding scale that begins at 1% and moves toward 20%.

Another one of America’s top and most-respected universities, Yale, clocks in with strong scholarship opportunities for students lucky enough to be admitted.

8. Stanford University

Tuition: $48,987

Financial aid policy: Full-ride (free tuition, room & board) for families making less than $65,000. Free tuition for families making less than $125,000.

Right in the thick of the Silicon Valley tech market, Stanford boasts beach access, elite education, and financial aid that makes it all accessible and affordable for students from all walks of life.

9. MIT

Tuition: $49,892

Financial aid policy: Families making less than $75,000 a year don’t pay tuition.

Known for all things technical, MIT’s financial aid department will foot the bill for students coming from middle-income families, leaving them only responsible for paying room & board and other living expenses.

10. Dartmouth College

Tuition: $53,049

Financial aid policy: Free tuition for families making less than $100,000.

Rounding out the collection of Ivy League schools on this list, Dartmouth boasts a policy that makes tuition free for any family that earns less than $100,000 per year. And, as with the other schools on this list, offers aid on a sliding scale for all other families.

In conclusion, finding financial aid for middle-class families can sometimes be a challenge. Luckily, these colleges have all published their specific financial aid rules to help families determine early if they will qualify for enough aid. Although prestigious universities, none are as out of reach as you may think.

• These popular schools aren’t as out of reach as you may think

Will Wyatt Harris pull off the unthinkable?

Save the Date

It’s Cuffing Season

Don’t Try This at Home

Queen of Rock

VS Fashion Show: A Men’s Rights Issue

Come See All My Sons!

Bring back the mullet, or die trying