Animals you never wanted to know existed

You do not want to find this spider in your house.

Marley Burwell, Features Editor

Some animals are cute and cuddly and some animals are not. The following ones are not.

1. Tsetse Flies- Also known as tik-tik flies, these tiny biting insects are very dangerous. They feed on blood. That doesn’t seem to different than mosquitos, but the reason that they are so horrible is because they transmit diseases. They can cause human sleeping sickness and also harm animals as well. They have a pretty long lifespan for an insect as well, with females living for one to four months. Fortunately for us, they are in Africa and not the U.S. However, if taking a trip to Africa, be careful of these dangerous bugs.

1. Box Jellyfish- When thinking of jellyfish, it is obvious to most people that they can sting you and cause damage. However, this type of jellyfish is not only dangerous, but downright terrifying. With a ghostly appearance, 24 eyes, and each tentacle having around 5,000 stinging cells, this jellyfish is one to stay away from. It possesses the deadliest venom found that activates with chemicals found, unfortunately, in humans. Skin can be eaten away and victims can experience cardiac arrest as a result of the sting. The old trick of peeing on a jellyfish sting will not help in this case, as some people die before even reaching the shore.

1. Deathstalker- The name says it all. The deathstalker is a species of scorpion. The venom is extremely powerful and has a low lethal dose. Healthy adults should be able to survive; however, young children or the elderly can have severe allergic reactions, which can cause death. Luckily, there is antivenom; however, a large dose is usually needed. While this species is incredibly dangerous, there is no need to fear while in the U.S. These nasty creatures are found in places like the Sahara and Kazakhstan.

1. Armed Spiders- Found in the tropics of South and Central America, these spiders are freaky. They are also known as Brazilian wandering spiders. They can have a leg span of 13 to 15 centimeters, which is too long for comfort. Their bodies can be as much as 2 inches long. The venom contains a harmful neurotoxin. In high concentrations, paralysis and asphyxiation can occur. Even though they are native to South and Central America, they are found in shipments of bananas to the U.S. and other countries. These spiders are big, ugly, scary, and armed and dangerous.

1. Blue-Ringed Octopus- The octopi are highly venomous. Found in the Pacific, they are yellowish in color and blue and black rings that can change color. They are a very small kind of octopus, only 5 to 8 inches. However, when provoked, they can be extremely dangerous. Twenty-six adults can be killed within minutes from the venom one of these octopi carries. Paralysis occurs, along with respiratory depression. There is no antivenom, but there are treatments, such as artificial respiration. This octopus is not one to mess with. Although, it does look extremely cute.

• Animals you never wanted to know existed