Forgotten festivities

Keeping+track+of+all+these+holidays+can+be+hard%2C+but+it+would+be+much+easier+with+an+adorable+puppy+calendar+%28purchase+one+at+https%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FPuppies-Calendar-Animals-Calendars-Avonside%2Fdp%2F1782088741%29+
Keeping track of all these holidays can be hard, but it would be much easier with an adorable puppy calendar (purchase one at https://www.amazon.com/Puppies-Calendar-Animals-Calendars-Avonside/dp/1782088741)

Lianys Olmeda, Staff Writer

With big holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas coming up, the smaller celebrations often get overlooked. Nevertheless, there are many national events every month that are worth celebrating. Moreover, with all the negativity in the world today, celebrating the positive aspects of every day life can help make everyone happy and bring us all together. If there is one thing that almost everyone can agree on, it is that chocolate chip cookies are delicious. Few people can resist the smell of freshly baked chocolate chip cookies. Why not celebrate the warm feeling of having some cookies with warm milk on National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day, on August 4? This would be a great time to grab your friends and get together to bake and enjoy this delicious holiday. However, if you don’t have a sweet tooth, but still enjoy spending time with your friends, you can still call them up to celebrate National Best Friends Day on June 8.  Don’t miss the opportunity to celebrate the power of friendship next summer and show your best friends how much you appreciate them.

If you would rather stay at home and curl up with a good book, mark April 23 on your calendar. National Book Day celebrates literature and book lovers across the nation. This event was started by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization to encourage people to read more. If reading is not your strong suit, however, or you enjoy writing more, you can still celebrate this holiday by writing a book or a short story. Who knows? Maybe April 23 can mark the start of your prolific writing career.

Music lovers out there can also enjoy their own holiday on National Music Day on June 21.  According to the National Association of Music Merchants, “around the world, more than 100 countries and 450 cities celebrate music day on June 21 with free, openly accessible concerts and music making events open to everyone.” Don’t forget to look out for local concerts or activities during this special holiday next summer. You can also enjoy this holiday by simply turning on your speakers and listening to your favorite genre in honor of National Music Day.

Most of these overlooked holidays are celebrated next year and are a long way away. If you just can’t wait for another few months to have fun and commemorate these special days, then here are some overlooked holidays that are coming up soon. Look out for Mickey Mouse day on November 18! This day is actually Mickey Mouse’s birthday and is the perfect time to take a trip to the most magical place on Earth. According to Thomas Smith, the editorial content director for Disney, “Disney Parks will mark Mickey’s birthday, November 18 in honor of the release of his first theatrical film, Steamboat Willie on November 18, 1928- with commemorative merchandise, treats, photo locations and more.” Disney World will be doing many activities and the company will be releasing an extended-length birthday episode of Mickey Mouse animation shorts on Disney Channel to commemorate 90 years of the beloved character.

Finally, if you still want to celebrate one of the more well-known holidays, December 16 is just for you. Your Christmas spirit can really shine through on National Ugly Christmas Sweater Day. Take out the ugliest sweater in your wardrobe and seize the opportunity to showcase it on the only day when it would be socially acceptable to wear it. This would also be a great day to challenge your friends and have an ugly sweater contest, where you all compete to see which one has the best worst Christmas sweater. Overall, there are many unique and fun days to celebrate each month, so keep your eyes open and your calendars ready, because you just might miss them.

• Forgotten festivities

• Forgotten festivities

• Forgotten festivities

• Forgotten festivities

• Forgotten festivities

• Forgotten festivities

• Forgotten festivities

• Forgotten festivities

• Forgotten festivities

• Forgotten festivities

Forgotten festivities