Christmas Countdown

Do you want to get in the Christmas spirit but don’t know how? Don’t worry because here are some simple, fun activities that will help you prepare for Christmas day

+%0A%0AMaybe+one+day+you+and+your+family+can+gather+enough+houses+to+make+this+ultimate+village.+Photo+provided+by+reddit.com

Christmas Countdown

Maybe one day you and your family can gather enough houses to make this ultimate village. Photo provided by reddit.com

Lianys Olmeda , Staff Writer

There are only approximately ten days left until Christmas day, so pretty much the whole world is in a jolly mood and in the Christmas spirit. Here are some activities that you can do to count down the days and incorporate a little bit of the holiday into your everyday life. On the first day of countdown we can start with a small, but effective way to commemorate Christmas in a heart-warming way.  Though the weather outside is still rather warm given that we live in Florida, one can always enjoy a hot cup of cocoa. So, don’t lose the opportunity to use Christmas as an excuse to take out your favorite mug (preferably Christmas themed) and make some homemade hot cocoa. All you will need is ½ cup of sugar, ¼ cup of baking cocoa, a dash of salt, 1/3 cup of hot water, 4 cups of milk, 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract, and finally some miniature marshmallows or whipped cream. This recipe will provide enough hot cocoa for five people to enjoy and is therefore perfect in getting people into the generous Christmas spirit. Grab your friends or your family and enjoy this delicious treat together. 

Another great activity to do during the second day of Christmas countdown is to relax and put on your favorite holiday movie. A way to make this activity even better is to throw nostalgia into the mix and watch older movies like Home Alone that you might have watched as a kid. On the third day, get creative and bring Christmas home by decorating not only your house, but your room as well. It only takes a few Christmas lights and perhaps a small Christmas tree to make the room festive. On the fourth day, grab your paper and scissors and prepare to make paper snowflakes. If you don’t know how to make paper snowflakes and would like a simple tutorial, visit: 

https://www.marthastewart.com/266694/decorating-with-paper-snowflakes . Furthermore, once you’ve finished making your beautiful paper snowflakes, you can hang them around your room to further decorate it. Since there are no snowflakes here in Florida, might as well make them. Then, after you’re done decorating and there are only five days until Christmas, take a break from all the creativity and simply listen to some holiday music all day long. I challenge you to listen to Christmas music the whole day and look for the best holiday music playlist on Spotify or YouTube, like the “Christmas Classics” playlist on Spotify. 

As Christmas day gets closer, many houses are sure to be decked out with holiday decorations. Some people get really into the holidays and go all out on Christmas season when decorating their houses. Don’t miss the opportunity to see these wonderful shows of festivity. On the sixth day of our countdown, go driving around neighborhoods with your friends and/or family to enjoy the Christmas lights and decorations together. My family loves rating the houses in a scale of one to ten and once we’re done driving around, we pick which one was our favorite. You can play this game too and enjoy some Christmas music while looking for the best decorated houses in neighborhoods like East Lake Woodlands where people usually go all out. 

Even though it will probably not be cold during the seventh day of our Christmas countdown, sweaters are always a must have during this season. Better yet, ugly Christmas sweaters. Compete with your friends to see who has the best worst Christmas sweater with a friendly competition. Now, we can’t forget one of the best and most iconic activities associated with Christmas. On the eighth day, don’t forget to bake some Christmas cookies to decorate and enjoy. However, if you don’t have the time or don’t want to bake cookies, buy them instead. Whichever one you choose, make sure to share them with your neighbors or friends to celebrate the Christmas spirit of giving. 

Finally, on the ninth day, think of some new Christmas traditions that you can start with your family that will help you get into the jolly spirit this year or the years to come. I asked some ELHS students what they like to do with their families to prepare for Christmas and get into the holiday spirit. Senior Danielle Barnych says, “What gets me into the mood of Christmas for the most part is when my family and I go pick out a real Christmas tree and decorate it together. It starts to feel like Christmas when we take the time to put the lights and ornaments on the tree as a family. Also, once you start smelling the tree in the house, that to me immediately brings so many childhood memories and that’s when I feel the most prepared for Christmas. Once the tree is up, everything else falls into place.” If you usually get a fake Christmas tree, consider taking the time next year to pick a real one and enjoy the smell of pine in the house, which is so intrinsic to the holiday. Furthermore, invite your family to pick and decorate the tree together. Senior Madison Stites has a family tradition that you could start implementing this year as well. Every year Madison, along with her family, sets up a Christmas village on a table in their house. They’ve been collecting the houses for around twenty years and display them every Christmas with lights and fake snow to complement the beautiful buildings.  Perhaps this year, you can start your own snow village and continue the tradition by picking out your first miniature building with your family. Madison also had a few other tips that help her prepare for Christmas and might also be useful for you. Her list goes as follows: “First essential is Christmas music, ‘Marshmallow World’ underrated, but top Christmas song. Second, set up a village. Third is Christmas baking. Fourth is decorations, you need greenery everywhere, red, gold, silver, everywhere! Fifth is fire. You got to have a fire in your fire place; I don’t care if it’s hot. Other essential is getting a Christmas bedspread, I got one, changed my life. You just really have to surround yourself with the holiday spirit.” 

It is finally the tenth day of our Christmas countdown, which means that Christmas Eve is finally here! I’m sure that at this point you must be fully into the holiday spirit. Therefore, all that’s left to do is spend some time with your family in anticipation of the Christmas day. I hope you have a great time and a merry Christmas.