Eggs gone wild

Eggs gone wild

Caption- The Notorious E.G.G.

Caption- The Notorious E.G.G.

Caption- The Notorious E.G.G.

Caption- The Notorious E.G.G.

Connor Wells, Staff Writer

January 4th, a typically mundane date in the new year. The excitement of New Year’s resolutions has worn off, and everyone is waiting for the next exciting date/break. However, as of 2019, this date has brought about a new, internationally unifying cultural movement. Over 25 million people are in on this cultural event, and it all centers around the philosophical controversy of “What Comes First.” That’s right, a picture of an egg is now the most liked picture on Instagram of which there is no sign of who or what is the mastermind.

Instagram’s former most liked picture title belonged to a post from Kylie Jenner, her birth announcement. Staying on the theme of new life, a picture of an egg was posted to Instagram on the fourth. As of Sunday, January 13th it surpassed Jenner’s post. This egg was not a random act; it was intentionally posted to take 1st place. After poaching the title of all time most liked, the Bio of the page simply said, “This is just the beginning,” signaling an incoming egg-pocalypse.

As mentioned earlier, the post is at 25 million likes and it’s still climbing. Statistics in an article from the New York Post reveal that “[t]he egg’s fans have passed the population of Australia.” As well as “[i]f everyone who liked the photo created a new city, it would be the world’s second-largest, beating Shanghai.” Many of the egg fans of posted Egg Emojis on Jenner’s 2nd place post, taunting the reality star. Many are waiting for a response from the almost billionaire. This is reminiscent of a past social media event, where a teen tweeted Wendy’s to get free chicken nuggets for a year, if he met a retweet goal. While that was unsuccessful, the egg has become an unprecedented social media movement, and could be a warning of what’s to come. Senior Joshua Brooks is one of the few who hasn’t liked the post, citing it as “a waste of time,” while many, including myself and fellow Senior Brandon Ottaviano, have hopped on the trend.

• Eggs gone wild

• Eggs gone wild

• Eggs gone wild

• Eggs gone wild

• Eggs gone wild

• Eggs gone wild

• Eggs gone wild

• Eggs gone wild

• Eggs gone wild

• Eggs gone wild

Eggs gone wild